Solar collectors and photovolatic this year

alert

Hi guys,

I am quite interested in investing in solar panels for water heating, I hear they're very good. However, considering the prices and number of years for return on investment involved, I would appreciate if anyone who has either water-heater or photo-voltaic systems could let me know how the awful summer we had affected their response?

Also, I was surprised to see a news article on the BBC1 Breakfast programme, this morning, concerning people who live "off-grid" whereby one house-holder derided his two wind-turbines in favour of his photo-voltaic system for energy generation, I had thought that photovoltaic was not worth the effort - Has the technology improved recently?

Thanks,

ALERT.

Hi there,
I have had solar collectors installed in my new build, however they are not up and running yet. The plan is for them to heat water only. But on reflection, they are quite an expensive outlay and while the grant is a help, proportionately speaking, it's a token gesture IMO. Anyway, bottom line, if I was to do it again, given the above and the fact that it's relatively cheap to heat water, I would give much more consideration to a space heating element in the system.
Unfortunately my knowledge in this regard is fairly limited.
Good luck :)

Re: Solar collectors and photovoltaic this year

I has Solar Collectors installed about this time last year. I'd recommend it, but make sure you use the more expensive vacuum collectors rather than the flat panel type system. Flat panels are fine for high ambient air temperature but lousy for Irish Weather. Motivation was a number of reasons - Cost of Gas, impact on environment, available grants, ability to completely turn off the gas boiler in summer etc.

One of the biggest elements of the cost was actually the new emmersion tank - we replaced a 120 lt tank with a 300 litre tank for a family of 5. My collectors face due south although the afternoon sun is clearly the hottest. Performance this year has been reasonably consistent with the temperature typically between 50-55C in the tank at the "upper" temp recorder which is about half way up the tank. On a good day this would rise to 60 degrees. 35C provides a good hot shower! The best day in 2007 (South County Dublin) was Good Friday when it hit 85C - the overheat system actually kicked in to spill the surplus heat into the attic.

The grant application process is a pain! You have to choose an installer, get a quote, submit your application, wait for approval, pay your deposit, wait for your contractor to have room in his schedule and when work is completed and commissioning cert is provided, along with proof of payment, you can finally apply for refund. Cost for me was around €4k-€4.5k after grant. installer was pretty good, but i got short shrift over installation when previous jobs run over - they are at the mercy of the weather and if its too windy, it delays things. Everything running to schedule it takes about 3 days to install

Go for it! You'll spend the first month after installation pressing buttons on the control panel to see how good the system is! Even in winter, on a sunny day the system will pre-heat your water to about 30C, which is a big improvement on the water coming in at about 5C.

installed solar panels this year, my wife didnt approve initially but since they were installed she is delighted. Even though summer was not great I had hot water all summer. Brillant and I would not look back. Be careful on pricing. If you need help shout ok

Anyone have the solar panels from Velux?

We are thinking of installing these and are after getting a quote of approx 8.5K for 6 sqm.

They look just like a velux window which is good as the front of our house is due South, however it's a bit of a price difference for aesthetics.

Other panels have been quoted at approx 6k - all excl of grant.

Any opinions?

We installed solar collectors on our new build also (vacuum tube panel). Also 300 litre water tank. We had the heating off since end March, so were relying on the solar panels alone for heating water for the past 6 months and we always had more than enough, and more than hot enough for showers etc. I too was a bit reluctant about installing them due to the initial outlay and long period of return on investment but i am glad we did it. The convenience alone of not having to worry about turning on an imersion all the time is great. We used Glas to supply and intall - www.glas.ie and were very happy with the service.

Like bcol1, we just had collectors installed by Glas. We've only had them a few weeks and we were getting all of our hot water from them before it suddenly turned cold and we have the heating on now anyway.

We don't have a south facing roof so we have collectors on both the east and west. So, our system is a bit more complicated that one collector on a south-facing roof. Glas were good to deal with during the installation process and came back a few times to make sure everything was configured ok.

(I have no connection with Glas, other than being a customer.)

We are thinking of installing these and are after getting a quote of approx 8.5K for 6 sqm.

They look just like a velux window which is good as the front of our house is due South, however it's a bit of a price difference for aesthetics.

Other panels have been quoted at approx 6k - all excl of grant.

Any opinions?

These velux collectors look like flat panels and I'd guess thats why 6 sq mtres is proposed - you wont get much, if anything, out of them in winter. Because they are less efficient, you need more of them - you get a bigger grant though, the grant scheme seems to encourage inefficiency!

These velux collectors look like flat panels and I'd guess thats why 6 sq mtres is proposed - you wont get much, if anything, out of them in winter. Because they are less efficient, you need more of them - you get a bigger grant though, the grant scheme seems to encourage inefficiency!

[broken link removed]

Hi Silvergirl...

Where did you actually get the price for the Velux? Are they in stock in stores now, do you know?

Be careful about solar water heating. Heating the water is all well and good but can you actually use it? If you have an electric shower, it is 'cold fill'. The same goes for a dishwasher & washing machine. So, the only way of using the hot water is through the taps or a mixer-valve shower.

I think solar power has it's place in electricity generation and space heating but not in water heating, unless appliances revert back to 'hot fill'.

We have no electric showers. All the showers in the house use the hot water from the cylinder. Our Miele dishwasher and washing machine can be connected to either cold or hot water supplies.

Craggel makes a good point, but I dont agree with this website owner recommending you but a woolly jumper instead.

Anyway for the benefit of ninsaga, the collectors are got are from Navitron who claim an efficiency of almost 80%
[broken link removed]

We have 12 sq m of solar panels which gives us hot water but even better runs our heating. We have a wood pellet stove with integral boiler as back up but so far it has rarely been on. This said it's very early days yet as we only moved in at the end of June! It's an eco house designed with passive principles, it has very high insulation and air tightness so obviously this makes a difference.

I often hear people give the impression that solar panel aren't suitable for heat so I just wanted to mention that in some cases they can be.

Mrs Aol - are you saying that you are heating your house entirely (so far) with just solar panels heating the rads? Thats nuts! If its that good why is everyone not at this? I'd love to see a report from you after the winter to see is it really that good. Free heat has to be good. Like you said, the house is uber insulated but even still....

We have 12 sq m of solar panels which gives us hot water but even better runs our heating. We have a wood pellet stove with integral boiler as back up but so far it has rarely been on. This said it's very early days yet as we only moved in at the end of June!
I often hear people give the impression that solar panel aren't suitable for heat so I just wanted to mention that in some cases they can be.

I live in a shockingly badly built estate house with 0 sq m of solar panels which run our heating. We have an oil boiler as back up but so far its barely been on. In fairness, we've only been renting it since July.

No offence but I think you're singing your systems praises for space heating a tad early!

Last edited:
Hey I know that only time will tell exactly how the system will preform. Don't have a go at me - I'm not trying to sell anything! If I was at the stage of deciding a heating system I'd find it interesting that solar panels can be used so I'm just mentioning it really. We are carefully monitoring the system so if I'm still popping in to these boards I will post the results after the winter months. There are some other houses with a similar set up to ours. The 2 I have details on have had good results. One spending 360 euros over a 12 month period and the other only spending 420 over 20 months.

Mrs Aol ,

What type have you got ?

We have evacuated tubes & have hot water from them with no oil from April to the end of September , turn the oil on last week becuase it got colded at night.

I am curious to know how they are heating the house as well

Let me first declare that I sell solar collectors for a living so I could be accused of having an agenda.

The prinicipal issue with using solar collectors (for heating water, not to be confused with Solar PV) for space heating is that when you most need the heat i.e. in winter at night, there is no sun
Space heating via solar can be achieved via a thermal store i.e. a large cylinder by heating it during the day and discharging thew heat during the evening/night. I'm not even sure that the economics stack up in the average Irish house, because typical insulation levels are so deficient that the discharged heat isn't retained for very long and depletes the store very quickly, otherwise a very large thermal store is required.

Heating of domestic hot water is a much better proposition. I wouldn't agree with yorkys comments because of the following.
The average person uses about 40-50 litres of hot water per day. Many showers installed today are directly pumped from from the cylinder and the water is mixed through a themostatic valve to 65 degrees C at the cylinder. About 25% (an average) of your annual energy goes on producing hot water most of which is used for showers and baths. Solar gives you about 60% of that 25%. That is a substantial contribution. Bear in mind that based on todays energy costs solar water heating pays for itself in 6-10 years (oil has gone from $80 to $83 a barrel in the last number of weeks) the payback may eventually be even shorter.

What are people being offered for €6000? Does this include the cylinder and installation?

Back