Software suitable for European Payroll

Nutso

I am working for a small company, who will, in 2012 have some employees posted to various european countries. Some of them will have to pay tax in their respective countries due to duration of stay etc. Anyone have a recommendation for payroll software that can do this on a small (i.e. low cost) scale?
Thanks

Nutso,

Nobody has replied to you so I'll give you the bad news. The payroll legislation, rules, procedures, calculation process, etc., etc. varies greatly from country to country. So, it would not be possible to develop a payroll software solution that catered for the requirements in multiple countries simultaneously. We do payroll software for Ireland and the U.K. and, while the applications look SIMILAR from a user's perspective, the "engine" that calculates tax and social insurance is completely different in both.

Your best option is to go for a low cost solution from each country or, even better, farm out the payroll in the other European countries to a bureau.

even better, farm out the payroll in the other European countries to a bureau.

+1 to this, have experience of payroll in other countries and after 1 week we decided to ditch the fooling we were doing on excel and sent it off to a local payroll company, a very good decision to be honest because of the multitude of different laws and rules, some of which are completely different to Ireland which means you can assume absolutely nothing

Thanks for the responses. One problem is that the employees will still be paying PRSI in Ireland but tax locally in the country in which they will be living.

Ouch!!.

Maybe you can farm out the overseas payroll to take care of the European side of things and use the Irish payroll to do the PRSI only. You should be able to set the employee tax status as exempt. If not, you could give them massive tax credits (e.g. €1m) and that would stop any tax from being deducted in the Irish payroll but PRSI would be calculated as normal.

I'm not sure if you want USC to be deducted in Ireland but, if not, the changes to the USC from Jan. onwards will allow you to set a nil USC rate. In fact, I would expect the P2C to show a nil tax rate and a nil USC rate for all bands.

Back