Software for pricing jobs?

DavyJones

I seem to spend a lot of my time pricing jobs. I work in the mechanical sector both commercial and domestic. does anyone know of a good software package that will make it a bit easier?
Thanks

DJ

I have tried a few (different sector) and found that having a few spreadsheet templates works best.

I have tried a few (different sector) and found that having a few spreadsheet templates works best.

Thanks,
Would you mind explaining a bit more indepth please.

I would give it to a mechanical QS if only I could find one . I am still on the tools so I'd rather be on site then at my desk.

I use spread sheets all the time, its a thing that needs some time to develop, but often I find that you can sometimes get completely wrapped up in the computer formulas and often paper works out nearly the same. The best thing I've done lately is to work out things per linear meter. So spend a few hours doing homework and pricing materials and get per lin meter or sq m. Then you just multiply this out to get quote. It can be off at times but after do maths for a few different types of job and then add in a buffer figure!

I do a lot of mechanical/steel pricing if you want anymore help...

Thanks, have started on a spread sheet. It seems the jobs we are doing are getting bigger and bigger.

I assume you are a welder, Which do you think would be cheaper/faster to weld, arc or oxy?. 90mm black steel over 120m, all at high level.

Cheers

for pipework? I'd say arc but depends on access and quality of joint you want 2 get....

Thanks. It's pipework. The quality would have to be as close to perfect as possible. I probably would get better penetration with the oxy.

First off I'm bias, as I'm a software developer and in the past have done quite a bit of office automation as a contractor.

If you really want to automate and produce rapid documents, you (well a programmer) can take it a bit further and write an application on top the macro's and spreadsheets which can automate a lot of tasks.

It depends what your time, is worth to you.

I'd be interested in hearing what the documents are, and as a exercise for myself seeing if I could automate one. Bit rusty at this kinda stuff now.