Software development

Markjbloggs

I use an Excel spreadsheet to manage some business affairs. Size is 15MB, mostly data and graphs, and it requires a lot of data entry and other inputs from myself.

My question is - is there a company that could convert this from Excel to a website or stand-alone application format and add a few bells and whistles to ease the data collection burden. Not to mention, I would like it to look a little more professional and presentable than it is right now?

Does the spreadsheet use (m)any custom macros or just built-in Excel features? Would Google Docs be of any use?

Update: oh - Google Docs has a file size limit a lot less than 15MB! Are you sure that the spreadsheet is genuinely this size and it's not because of retained document history or something that might be bloating it?

Just a couple of simple macros, I use mostly the in-built stuff in Excel as I know very little about software. Also, I'm definite that 15 + MB is correct.

If you spec'd out exactly what is required, you could post it as a project on www.scriptlance.com and I'm sure you could get someone there to do it for you.

Pretty much any programmer, or software company can do this. Theres a few around that specially in customising and automating Office applications. If you look in the phone book you'll find a few I'm sure. The hard part will be finding someone that can do it within a timescale and budget that you deem reasonable. To get it done cheap you'd probably need to find a student, or post the project on a freelancing website, or find someone with some time to fill.

http://www.freelanceireland.ie/

http://www.rentacoder.com/

I can't vouch for these sites as I never used them, and as a Irish based software developer myself I am bias. My opinion is that its easier dealing with a local guy on site and in person than remotely unless both client and developer are very good at working in this way, and clear about whats expected, objectives etc. Basically unless you get the right person a simple project can be made difficult. Some similarly bias opinions here.

[broken link removed]