Software available to control Access to Modem

suicra05

Hi,

I have my broadband with Vodafone at present. Is there any software or other method to control the access to the modem (i.e. wifi)? I have teenage children and am looking for a simple method to control access to the modem/wifi.

Thanks in advance.

After trying various methods, all of which my kids found workarounds for, I now simply disconnect the router after a certain hour on weeknights and lock it in a drawer in my bedroom.

Be prepared for howls of protest/abuse, and hang tough.

Well I know how to do it, but I did not find an easy way to do it, so I gave up on it. Basically you need to control access to the router by MAC address.

If you log onto the router using your internet browser 192.0.0.1 probably, you will be given a host of option to control usage. This should include time limits/ MAC address filtering / times of day that access will be granted.
You may also have option to block certain websites. In addition the you may be able to give yourself 24hr access and block everyone else !

Doing it this will will give you the option to blame the Service provider or the dodgy wireless router for the sudden outages every evening at exactly 21:05 every night

The MAC address filtering is a great thing to add as it will make your wireless network very secure although a pain if you need to add a visitor to the network.

The most effective (without resorting to the locking it away approach), is to use the modem/router's own security settings. Each router manufacturers setup is different, so you'll need to look up the manual for your router.