Socket wiring - surprised me!

albob

Hi,
recently I bought a phase tester screwdriver, and accidentially let it fall. Therefore I wanted to check if it still worked or if I had damaged the bulb. So I stuck the screwdriver into a plug socket (as you do! ). Anyway, on a plug with the pins facing you, ground on top, the live pin is on the right. Therefore I assumed that the live "socket" would be on the left (as you would be turning the plug around to plug it in). I was wrong. The live socket is on the right. So the live pin goes into the neutral socket, and the neural pin goes into the live socket. Makes no sence to me! I actually went as far as to take the socket off the wall and check its wiring but it appears to be wired up correctly, as labeled in the back of the socket. Am I missing something here? I am an electronic engineer and always get the jokes about wiring a plug......maybe they were not far off!

Oops, you're wrong, look at a plug top again: the live terminal is on the right handside (when looked at with the plug top removed). Your "phasetester" correctly indicated a live connection on the right hand terminal/ input of the wall socket.

On a side note, if anyone ever wants to check if a socket is wired correctly, buy a Martindale tester