Social welfare staff 'working flat out'.

I know, I chuckled to myself when I heard this on Morning Ireland this am. But to put it in context her experience of the working world was as a School Teacher

More predictable teacher bashing. Yawn.

Found it every car dealer I've been in recently too. Tried to get a TV/Satellite guy to ring me back proved impossible too. Common issue with trades people aswell. I should have got a call from a plumber today. No sign of it yet either. I don't think its that rare in the private sector.

Seems like, dole offices, DSFA that they are constrained by union interference. Because they act as if thats whats happening. Seems like theres a lot of manual, paper based processes still in place. If it was fully computerised you'd thing it could all be done a lot quicker. I would say its a tough job and you get a lot of abuse in a job like that. Hard place to work I imagine. They probably should rotate staff more often away from the front desk. I can also imagine the workload has just exploded in there in a very short space of time.

This has been said done before and its borning

Do you drive you car flat out all the time?
What's that got to do with anything?

Do you get many older 40+ or for that matter 30+ labourers?
40+? Yes, there are loads of them. It's hard manual work with the stress of not knowing where the next job will come from, knowing that if they get sick or injured they have no income, worrying about how they will make a living when they do get too old to keep doing what they are doing.

I remember trying to help get a work permit changed for a guy who wanted to move from a company that was going bust to a different employer. The attitude of the staff in the DTE varied, some were fantastic but more were utterly incompetent and rude.
This was during the “Boom”.

What's that [driving your car flat out all the time] got to do with anything?

It's a very good metaphor. People do not work flat out all the time; most people are incapable of working flat out all the time. A good worker works at a steady pace most of the time and takes small breaks (unofficial as well as official -- sometimes just staring at the wall for a minute or two or even making a brief visit to this site). From time to time, when circumstances require it, people work more intensively. Think of that looming deadline, and how it affects your work effort.

An employer who gets 50 minutes of effort per hour of paid time is doing well.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks that the dep. of social welfare employees are working at that level day in and day out.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks that the dep. of social welfare employees are working at that level day in and day out.

I think there is little correlation between comment here and actual knowledge.

What's that got to do with anything?

try it for a while and see if its practical...

Its up there with phrases like "2 mins". No one takes it literally, and if you did take it literally, you'd run your staff into the ground. Just like a car.

In my experience, theres very few, as they are usually injured, bad backs or suffering from arthritis by that age. You get a few hardy ones who solidier on. Must go off and find something that won't leave them crippled.

The idea you can work flat out, as a labourer for years is a joke. Flat out as a labourer is when your serving two brickies, and the other labourer doesn't turn up, and the lift breaks, so you have to hoof blocks on a hod and mortar up a ladder in a bucket, also keeping the mix going in a mixer. None of the delivered stuff. Very few can do that even in their prime.

I wasn't complicit in it. I spoiled my vote in the last few elections because there was no candidate I wanted in a position of power.
By spoiling your vote, you let them back in.

However As regards the public sector everyone knows there is slackness, overpayment, non accountability. How do we know? We are customers.
We see it everyday in our dealings with banks, supermarkets, other retailers, telecom companies, tradesmen etc etc etc. The public sector is not perfect, but it doesn't have a monopoly on ineffeciency.