Social Distancing - debate on 1m v 2m

If those crowds had gathered on a beach, you would have had every minister coming out but not here.

There were larger crowds on several beaches over the weekend and previous weekends. I didn't see every minister commenting on those...

There were larger crowds on several beaches over the weekend and previous weekends. I didn't see every minister commenting on those...

Not like the crowd that gathered on that march. I live near one of the popular beaches and there was a Gardai presence turning away cars and walking the beach telling people to social distance. We have heard the Heath Minister and the CMO talking about incidents that cause concern in the past. Leo came out last night on twitter basically supporting that march yesterday without commenting on the social distancing aspect. If that had been a bunch on inner city families having a street party, it would have been all over social media and they would have been much stronger reaction. Instead we have people on social media condemning the protest but silence from political leaders. I have no issue with the protest but we are either doing this or we are not. We have an economy that is still basically closed down. If no political leader can come out and condemn the people that took part in the march yesterday, well then it is obviously safe for large groups to gather outside. So if they can protest, my kids can play in the playground. Sports can start up again. We can attend outdoor concerts etc etc etc....

But of course it isn't politically smart for them to condemn it.

Let's hope this might deter any more such nonsense from people more interested in irrelevant virtue signalling than actions in their own country to protect the vulnerable in this society...

GARDAÍ HAVE SAID they will be investigating all the circumstances surrounding the Black Lives Matter demonstration which took place in Dublin at the weekend in relation to potential breaches of Covid-19 regulations.

If that had been a bunch on inner city families having a street party, it would have been all over social media and they would have been much stronger reaction.

There was a big one of those near where I live on Sunday, big generator running the PA system, the lot!!

Heard Richard Corrigan on the radio this morning. He said he won’t be re-opening any of his restaurants if the SD is 2m.
Said he needs 70% occupancy to break even and that is achievable with a 1m SD, in most of his premises.

I’d be very slow to criticise Leo on his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, but I think he badly needs to make a definitive final call on the Social Distancing debate.

We’re all aware that an SD of 2m may result in many bars/restaurants/etc. never reopening. But a lot of bars/restaurants/etc. owners will not reopen until they know if SD will remain at 2m or if it will be set to the WHO SD of 1m.

No owner wants to spend considerable amounts of money rearranging his/her premises, installing sneeze guards, screens, etc., to optimise the space for an SD of 2m, and then in a few weeks time be informed that an SD of 1m is now applicable. Then rip out everything and start again to optimise the space for the new SD.

Many of them will not reopen on Monday 29th June, and will wait and see. They might reopen if Leo just came out and said it’ll be SD of 2m for the foreseeable future. But this grey area really isn’t helping things and though Leo has done a great job throughout the pandemic, he needs to call it ASAP: 2m or 1m!

Back