Social and affordable housing - is this specifically aimed at families?

eliza

How is Social and Affordable housing allocated?

The reason I ask is that about 145 units of social(45) and affordable(100) housing are being constructed not far from where we live in Cork city. I welcome this development as very little social and affordable housing has been built in recent times in this part of Cork city.

However, the units are being built next to our small parish school. The school is an eight teacher school with about 200 pupils and no longer has any land in order to develop further. If the social and affordable housing is mainly allocated to families, I cannot see how room will be found to fit all the children in the parish school.

The reason I am asking is my little boy starts school this Sept. Ordinarily I would send him to the parish school but he also has been offered a place in a larger school with better facilities in the neighbouring parish. These housing units are not due for completion until the end of this year. So my questions are:

1. Is social and affordable housing specifically targeted to families rather than cash-strapped single FTB?

2. What happens when any new housing estate is built in a small parish - does the school end up bursting at the seams. Surely a parish school cannot refuse to take children?

Eliza,

I think I know the Social and Affordable housing that you are referring to. Social and Affordable housing is targeted at low-income families and singles - in this development I would expect most of the houses to go to families as there is a huge demand for these units, and as far as I know, families would be more likely to get priority.

Laurie