Soccer training methods.

Yes, but losing one match in a 42 game season is not a reason to panic

BTW, I believe this refers to Roy Keane, Ipswich town and an Army assault course type thingy he took the players on

Spot on, Mpsox. I often wonder does Roy Keane court this type of publicity. Is it fair on the players who no doubt will be taunted by opposition with references to pigs heads.

Spot on, Mpsox. I often wonder does Roy Keane court this type of publicity. Is it fair on the players who no doubt will be taunted by opposition with references to pigs heads.

God I hope the players can cope with taunts about their training methods, the poor things.

I seem to recall most of the jokes/jibes from opposition fans about Ipswich (and Norwich C for that matter) involved sheep, not pigs

I'm not sure that Keane has the skills to manage modern day athletes.

Going camping with the army is hardly the way for professional athletes to prepare for an upcoming season. In hindsight it looks like the time would have been better spent training.

Boot camp is now very common amongst GAA teams and rugby teams at the start of a season. It serves two purposes:
1) You get lean and quick.
2) Builds camaraderie

I guess Keane thought that this would bring the new members of the squad together. Obviously it should be done as part of an overall training regime.

I think when sports coaches have a "boot camp" at the start of the season, they dont literally mean take everyone off to the nearest army base. Its a metaphore for a period of intensive training where the team overnights at the training camp location. But they dont do army training, they do whats relevent to their sport.

Keane"s boys were photographed beside an Artillery gun aat the Parachute Regiment in Colchester

Back