Soak Pit

laoisfan

hi

just wondering what size a soak pit should be ? i.e. length x width x depth ?
would 1m x 1m do for length and width ? how deep should they be ?

btw this is on 1.5 acre site in the middle of the country side.

thanks - laoisfan

It will totally depend on the amount of stormwater you plan on running into it, and also on the surrounding soil type and how quickly/slowly water will percolate away.

refer to page 395 of the homebond book for general specifications (not size) and this also refers you on to BRE Digest 365, Soakway Design

fingal require the following condition:
Surface Water: i. No surface water/ rainwater is to discharge into
the foul sewer system under any circumstances. ii. Soakways must
comply with BRE Digest 365 and be at least 5 metres from the
proposed dwelling.

as i already stated this is out in the country side in the middle of nowhere on 1.5 acre of land and yes it will be certainly more than 5m from the house.

i was thinking of 1m x 1m x 1m but on another site another poster said that they went long instead of deep. meaning their soak pit was 10m in lenght, 0.5m in width and 1m in depth. a perforated pipe runs the lenght, surrounded by broken stone, plastic sheeting on top of the stone and about 1ft of earth on top of that.

ok, but like i said it will depend on the area of run off you'll have going to it.

For example I've a varly large roof area for my house ~375m2, and with other runoffs I've 2 soakaways. One is probably about 2m square on top and 2m deep with 1.75m depth of clean stone and the other is 18m long, 1m wide and 1.5m deep with 1.25 depth of clean stone together with a perforated pipe for full length.

If your not sure, over estimate......you don't want to going back later on extending a soakaway

Back