So you buy a £15M mansion and then this happens....

homeowner

http://breakingnews.ie/world/mhsnojqlsnkf/

Squatters take over London mansions

22/01/2009 - 10:31:02
Squatters are holed up in two £15m (€16m) mansions on one of London’s most exclusive roads, it was reported today.
According to The Sun, around 20 “hippies” have set up home in the seven-storey properties in London’s Park Lane, famous for its super-rich residents, luxury car dealers and hotels.
The group told the paper they spent their time strumming guitars, creating artworks and taking their dogs for walks in Hyde Park opposite.
One of the squatters, called Martin, said: “The view at Sunset over Hyde Park is just magic – especially from the penthouse. I really love it here.”
Another, 21-year-old Meg, added: “It’s much better when squatters move into a rich person’s home like this, as the owner can obviously afford to have us here.”
The squatters claim the properties – thought to be owned by the Duke of Westminster – have stood empty for about two years.
Outside the mansions, 20-year-old Daniel Moreira said today: “It feels pretty good. It’s the dream of everyone in London to live for a little bit in Park Lane.”
In response to being dubbed “scroungers”, the Portuguese student said: “I think it’s fair. We are invading a house. But if people come and see what we’ve got to give them – lots of art, lots of good energies – I think they will change their minds.”
Mr Moreira, who is studying performing arts at Westminster College and works as a waiter at a local cafe, said he was saving the money he would be spending on rent to fund a year in Mozambique working with disabled children.
He said the squatters, most of whom are artists, spend their evenings “jamming”, singing songs and strumming guitars.
Moreira said the two squats, which he claimed housed between 30 and 40 people, were different from others he had lived in previously.
“There are no junkies or crack-heads in there. Just nice people,” he said.
Squatting is not illegal if entry is not forced and no criminal damage is caused to the premises.
Sham Mas, who works as a banker in the building neighbouring the squats, said: “I think it’s hilarious that’s there no law to stop them. It’s weird.
“We hear the dogs sometimes, we haven’t had any trouble yet but we’re locking our doors, so it’s okay.”
</SPAN>

How did they get in without breaking in and how is this not illegal regardless?

The way it is done is ........ a guy who knows his stuff breaks into the house or gains entry through a partially open window and (as most locks are attached from the inside) changes the locks. He then sells on the key to the squatters. In the grander houses the fellow who gains entry usually has locksmith experience.

Well seems to me that the squatters are putting the house to better use than the Duke ever did. Leaving the place vacant for a couple of years is some waste. Then again you should be able to do what you want with your own property I suppose...

So you buy at £15m house ....and leave it empty for a couple of years... thats even more bizarre.

It is most likely that the Duke inherited the property rather than bought it.

He may be worth billions and I hardly feel sorry for the chap but I am shocked at the idea that it could happen to anyone. You go away for a year and come home to find people legally living in your house and there's nothing you can do. It doesnt seem fair to me. I presume you can give them notice to leave....or maybe you cant.

When I lived in London this was always the holy grail type of squat spoken about by those who were on gap years or had just left college etc.

I was surprised at just how common squatting was there - I knew a few students in squats and some other people who devoted a few hours of their day on a regular basis looking for good squats.

A sort of 'middle class waster' thing IME.

What's the law like here for this does anyone know? Apart from living in squalor in dilapidated buildings, I've almost never heard of people squatting in the British sense in this country.

Haha don't be so mean, You're just jealous cos I won the lottery and you didn't!

Ner ner ner ner ner...

Back