Snag

Lyndan

Hey All,

I bought an apartment over a year ago and in January of this year we were contacted by the developer to say an architect would be coming out to snag our apartments with a view to fixing any cracks etc. Supposedly this is standard procedure?

So the architect came in January and we have a pretty bad crack in the wall of our bathroom, the plaster has peeled off the wall and the brick is visable, the brick also has a crack and the tiles below the crack have been damaged too. The architect said it was a bad one but not to worry it could be fixed.

Its now August, we have heard nothing else, we kept being told by the developer - we are waiting on all apartments to be done, then he just stopped answering his phone.

We have just heard that he has resigned from the company and is no longer our contact....we have no idea what to do now?

Someone told me that money was put by for these snag items to be fixed? Who is in possession of the money?

Any advise on what i should do next?

Lyndan said:
...an architect would be coming out to snag our apartments with a view to fixing any cracks etc. Supposedly this is standard procedure?

Are you sure it was an Architect? I certainly haven't experienced the developer paying for an Architect to inspect cracks! It is normal to get settling cracks - but nothing too major! Usually the site foreman or snagger or YOUR engineer would inspect same and arrange for a plasterer and painter to patch up.

It sounds as though your developer suspected subsidance? Contact the development co and establish who is now dealing with the matter - try and establish what the problem is and who they are going to send to repair same. If you don't appear to be making progress then perhaps you should investigate getting the apt checked yourself. Did your engineer notice these cracks at the time of his inspection for YOUR snag list or were they not present? Perhaps you should get your engineer back to have a look at the cracks - should cost no more than €200.

Hi, yes it was definately an architect, he said he was sent by the developer to snag all apartments...i had never heard of it before but he said it happens all the time with new apartments...

The cracks werent there when we moved in

The architect would have to do their own snags on all development in order to sign off the building. But this would have to be done before the property was sold to ensure a completion cert for the builder

ludermor said:
...this would have to be done before the property was sold to ensure a completion cert for the builder

If the Architect visited when the OP had moved in (and presumably closed) then it would appear that the Architect was there for other reasons...

yes it seems like there is something strange, they told us that its normal procedure but it doesnt seem like anyone else experienced this..

Back