Smoothie maker

Glenbhoy

I'm starting to develop a taste for smoothies - anyone out there got any recommendations for a good smoothie maker?
Ideally, I want one that deals with frozen fruit, and is it possible to get one where i don't have to bother with peeling fruit/de-seeding fruit etc (namely oranges obviously re the peeling, if it's takes too much effort, I probably would'nt use it for too long).

Ah, smoothies. The craze has finally taken off in Ireland, 10 years on.

Any good blender or food processor should do. Roches Stores?

Oranges will always have to be peeled unless you use the traditional citrus press method (manual or electric).

The equipment which removes peel, fibre, pips, etc, and separates them from the juice itself is a juice extractor. The best ones are Magimix Le Due (available Clery's and Brown Thomas) and Breville's Anthony Worrall Thompson Juice Extractor (widely available). Both of these also have a citrus press attachment. The Magimix is about EU160; the Breville about EU130. Both are a bit of a pain to clean.

If you just want a smoothie - yoghurt, banana, frozen berries and juice, for example, a hand-held blender is your best bet. Braun do a good range. Don't bother with 'smoothie makers', they're just jug blenders by another name.

I have the Breville-Anthony Worall one-you're right it is abit of a pain to clean. I think there is a commercial one for about 300 from breville aswell that you can stick in the dishwasher. The juice is brilliant from them.smoothies made with a blender.

I have the Kenwood SB256 Smoothie Maker. Its great. Smoothies, soups, cocktails. It also crushes ice, or frozen fruit. Sinch to clean. I had the hand held type, and really there is no camparison. Repeat! there is no comparison.

Just for my own clarity - is a smoothie maker a new name for a good old-fashioned blender? Doesn't it do the same thing?

We have 3
The "Kenwood Smothie" is nice and black and silver and looks sexy but works crap. €145 in Debenhams.
The Braun Blender we got in Roches many years ago for about €45 is great and has put up with a lot of abuse and comes through.
The "Vitamix Total Nutrition Centre Whole Food Machine" is the be all and the end all of blenders but is very expensive so you would want to be taking your food prep very seriously to get it.
So my advice is Cheap and Cherefull

Got a Braun blender on sale in Arnotts on Saturday. Was 79.99, bought for 39.99. Having great fun with it. Does ice, smoothies, soups etc. There's a bit of an electronics sale on at the moment there.

Don't worry - it'll soon be at the back of the press along with the coffee bean grinder and the sandwich toaster. :)

I actually use the sandwich toaster on a monthly basis - handy when you get home at 9.30!! But I know exactly where you're coming from.

Back