Smithfield?

D

dave1350

Could anyone please give me some info on smithfield. Is it a decent place to live? What amenities are there? What are the residents like? Any other info? Is it safe? Im a 25 year old male who will be working in IFSC.
Thanks

I don't live in Smithfield, but I've viewed places there over the past couple of years. I did consider it as a place to live. I'm sure some actual residents will be along to fill you in on their experiences.

As I see it, there are a few pluses, and some minuses. The negatives always outweighed the positives for me, so I never did move there.

Pros: Very close to the city centre. You can pretty much walk anywhere you'd want to go.

The Lighthouse Cinema. I've never actually ventured to it but I wish it was in my local area.

Negatives: Very close to the city centre. It's not all good. This is the north inner city. I always saw vagrant drinkers loitering around Smithfield on my visits there.

Certainly at the time I was looking it was relatively expensive to rent there. Rents have come down everywhere recently, but I expect it is still probably expensive.

I have heard the horse fair and the ice rink at Christmas be mentioned as negatives by residents. It's worth investigating if this is still the case, I imagine the exact location of your dwelling will dictate how badly the smell of horse ****e or the sound of loud, ****e music will affect you.

I ultimately went for Drumcondra, which is also convenient to the IFSC which can be walked to/cycled to/bussed to with ease. It's a little further out from certain parts of the CC for sure, but if you're closer to the Dorset St end there's not much in it, depending on where you're going. I see good value in rents here too.

If you really want to be in the middle of things then Smithfield might be the best choice for you, but personally I think it's overpriced and over-rated.

Visit the area from time to time. Apart from a few office workers in the area, Smithfield is very quiet - not exactly the vibrant city centre location that the developers were advertising. The majority of shops on the square are vacant. Seems to be a few undesirables hanging around - tends to be a bunch drinking at the southern end of the square. You also have the childrens court.

I live close to smithfield and work in the IFSC also. I walk through smithfield every day. While i agree there can be some undesirables hanging around i've never had any problems.

The square is definitly more empty recently with the closure of Park Inn and Thomas Reids, but there is still a fair bit of life there, the cinema is great as mentioned earlier, there is also the supermarket, Fresh, another hotel and 2 restaurants near the Jameson distillary.
It is fantastic for getting to the IFSC, 20 -25 minutes walk or just hop on the Luas. I love it as it is so close to town.

I'd agree the ice rink at christmas might be a bit annoying but i've never managed to see the horse fair so cant comment on that. It should be on this sunday if you want to check it out. There is also a farmers market on fridays but again i havent managed to get to it as unfortunatly i work!!

Back