Smelly leather bag

jambr

I have been given a present of a lovely leather handbag(satchel style) but the smell is awful. Its very strong and not the pleasant leather smell you get from some. Would anyone have any idea on how to get rid of this stink. I have tried spraying the inside with febreez but had no effect.
Thank you.
Julie

Maybe leave it out in the air for a while. Is the leather cured correctly or do you think someone put a cheap 'leather' spray on it?

snap!!! bought a fab leather satchel in portugal this summer and I cannot use because I smell like dog pooh ...and i left it on the clothes line for a fullweek!! If you find any remedy please let me know.

scrub the leather with essence of something and then wipe down, leave in air for a couple of days and presto...should be sorted

scrub the leather with essence of something and then wipe down, leave in air for a couple of days and presto...should be sorted

I dont want to ruin my bag just get rid of the smell. What essence do you suggest, I might try it on the inside.
Thanks.

If something went wrong in the tanning process of the leather, then I don't think there is a remedy!