Smashing glass

Sarah W

What is the fascination with children (15/16) smashing bottles in public parks? I walk my dog in the lovely Ward park in Swords but every inch of the path is covered with broken glass. Last night I narrowly missed being hit by an empty beer bottle and my dog suffered a bad cut to his paw - I've mailed the parks dept. who say they'll look into it. Very, very annoying.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

bored children?
school scouts sports leagues are out for the summer and they are plain bored. I don't condone it mind.

Fair enough but why the fascination with glass? I remember a couple of years seeing a girl of about 13 and on her own just throwing a bottle on a path and walking off. Weird.

Sarah Wellband

www.rea.ie

Didn't anybody else (well, the boys at least) not do this and other stuff like setting fire to things when they were kids? I know I did but I can't remember what the fascination was at this late stage. I know I stopped once I found more important things to do - e.g. drinking in the fields and getting off with girls!

It's amazing you turned out so well

Sarah W said:
Last night I narrowly missed being hit by an empty beer bottle.[/url]

Must be posh gurriers out in Swords, drinking out of bottles. Most of the cider parties I see comprise of people drinking cans of Dutch gold, Orangeboom, 2lr plastic bottles of cider etc..

On a more serious note, I stopped walking my dog in a large park near us for the same reason. Now I walk him mainly near football pitches which are relatively inaccessable by foot, and not near any shops, and these is no problem.

Murt

My brother and I were just talking about this the other day. He got 8 stitches in his head when he was 12 because he and a mate were chucking bottles at logs in a golf course. Looking back he admits that it was immensely stupid but he can't explain why they were doing it - just felt like it - the most infuriating reason in the world

I still find my civic-minded quarterly trips to the local bottle bank strangely cathartic. How did that old [broken link removed] go?

However, the little b'stards that do it in public parks, laneways, etc. should be sent down to pick it up with their teeth. With my old friend Mr T standing over them..!

when i was around 16 i had a knife puled on me in that ward place behind the lord mayors in swords,few rough lads hang around there.

did you offer compensation to fix it when you realised the error of your ways?

Well, my vet is better off to the tune of €40 thanks to the little barstewards.

Sarah