smashing glass

levelpar

Hi, Can anyone explain why an Post and CIE continue to have plate glass in phone boxes bus shelters when the glass is no sooner fitted than it is smalled to pieces.by vandals. On a lighter side, does anyone know where I could buy shares in Adsell?

frando said:
Hi, Can anyone explain why an Post and CIE continue to have plate glass in phone boxes bus shelters when the glass is no sooner fitted than it is smalled to pieces.by vandals. On a lighter side, does anyone know where I could buy shares in Adsell?

Simple this one, the glass fitted is a safety glass of which there are two types: Laminated and toughened. Toughened (which is the type used in the shelters etc) is difficult to break and will resist most impact stresses. when it breaks it shatters into small squares of glass which are safer than shards of untoughened glass.

Laminated glass is composed of two (or more) sheets of ordinary glass bonded together using a special adhesive sheet (a type of plastic). When broken this glass breaks into shards like a normal glass but the shards are held together by the plastic sheet sandwiched in the middle. It's not as safe as toughened glass in the above named applications as shards of glass can be exposed. It is however used in roof applications where falling glass from a toughened rooflight would not be desirable.

Hi Carpenter , My intention was not to look for an explanation of the composition of plate glass but to emphasise the terrible waste and continuing costs of replacing the plate glass. Why not use a cheaper material .The vandals are going to smash it anyway.

The plastic alternatives such as polycarbonate are no cheaper than glass, are easily scratched, are not resistant to graffitti and are no more resistant to impact. Toughened glass is the best material for the job, but if someone wants to break something -they will, regardless of material.

Hi Carpenter, Thanks for making things a bit clearer. Would you know where I might buy shares in Adshell as I got a great idea for boosting business?. By the way, I just bought a lump hammer in town for half the normal price.

carlsberg don't do phones boxes but if they did..... ( neither do an post)
you obviously lost no money buying eircom shares

frando said:
Would you know where I might buy shares in Adshell as I got a great idea for boosting business?. By the way, I just bought a lump hammer in town for half the normal price.
Are you going to smash up their web servers or something?