Smart telecom - still in operation?

gd2000

I am currently searching for a BB connection and am finding it extremely frustrating - but in my search I found that Smart telecom are still in operation and are offering an excellent BB package.

The boards.ie survey seems to say that it's extremely satisfactory - yet I know that previous smart customers had nothing but hassle over the debacle of their dealings with Eircom.

What happened the company (my memory isn't good enough!)? Are they under new management? Should one trust them (in as much as you can ever trust a telecom company in Ireland!)?

Smart exited the residential voice only market suddenly back in October. They still offer voice and broadband bundled service to some residential customers. If Smart have their own equipment in your local exchange then you may be able to avail of this. If not then they are of no use to you. The company was bought out after the October debacle.

Cheers Clubman - do you know who bought them out?

I already noticed your ongoing saga and can empathise with your frustration. If only the regulator was accountable for doing a poor job!

Cheers Clubman - do you know who bought them out?

I already noticed your ongoing saga and can empathise with your frustration. If only the regulator was accountable for doing a poor job!

The majority shareholder, Brendan Murtagh, bought the company for €1 and took on its liabilities. A new company was then set up and shareholders in old company were given 10% of the new company.
Murtagh is the man behind Kingspan...a well know high net worth individual.

If smart is available in your area,get it.
we have the bb package,thats line rental,all local and national calls and 4megs speed for 45 euro a month.. where would ya get it,wha

I've had it since last summer, was lucky not to have suffered any loss of service during the October Eircom coup. Never had any loss of service in fact at any stage. Try them out if available in your area.

Typical! I find a package that seems good and I'm told it's not in my area yet!!!

Guess it's BT or UTV...

Back