Smart Telecom Broadband

ninsaga

.... they are not after hooking into my local exchange yet in Cork...so I cannot avail of their €35 per month incl line rental as yet.....I am curious though if others have tried them out by now elsewhere & what the experiences have been thus far....

ninsaga

Still waiting for Lucan (Ballydowd) exchange to get connected, they said August when I signed up 3 months ago, now they are saying end of year at best (because Eircom are acting the maggot).

Just got it connected yesterday via the Quaker Road exchange in Cork. Very straight forward, once my phone number changed, I just plugged in the ST router and that was it. Working well so far anyway!

I'm only getting 1.7 Mbps down and 106 kbps up with Utv's Clicksilver Plus. It was only around 6-700 kbps with basic Clicksilver which was a bit disappointing but cheaper. C.Plus will cost €45/month (plus line rental) when the trial ends and I didn't really want to spend that much but looks like no option. Don't suppose it would be any faster with EsatBT or Eircom - and Smart isn't an option.

Sherib

I'm gald to hear somebody has managed to connect via Smart BB. Everybody I know gets told they don't yet offer BB in their area. Seems to me it's a marketing ploy to get people onto their voice service.

BTW - Eircom and Irish Broadband are just as guilty.

I signed up for broadband in May - they told me the exchange would go live in June, I phoned in July & they told me it would be the start of August, I phoned again recently & they said it would be September - no prizes for predicting what they will tell me in September.

... I think Smart should run a new add campaign with the theme music from Bon Jovi.....

Lets all sing together now...

Ooooh oo, we're half way there..Oooh ooh Livin' on a prayer...take my hand we'll make it I swear.....Oooh ooh Livin' on a prayer..

Last edited:
Perhaps they should change their catchphrase to "It's not smart - it's just magic"? :(

Or perhaps "We can't innovate because Eircon frustrate". That could be applied to the entire landline telecoms sector in Ireland.

It would seem more appropriate anyway. It must be nice to be a monopoly with the services of many many lawyers to hand to stall and stop any competitors efforts.

Back