Smart Phone recommendations please

PaddyBloggit

I need to upgrade my phone. I'm not a mad user of the phone but think I need to 'get with it' a little.

I currently have a phone that I use for calls and texting only but work has a What's App group and I need to get connected.

Other than What's App, I won't be using the phone for social media - facebook or the likes.

I would hope to get an ok camera in it (not for selfies though), the facility to run the odd popular app - I'd be into energy saving, financial/banking apps.

I'm not interested in an iphone so it's android for me. I'm on a PAYG with vodafone. I would hope to buy the phone outright. Samsung comes to mind but which model?

Any recommendations gratefully received. If more info is required about my usage, ask away. Thanks.

A big help to a recommendation would be, how much are you willing to spend?

No more than €200.00
iPhone. If it’s for cost reasons then that makes sense, but if not I’d give it another thought.

It's the cost. I couldn't justify having a phone at Apple prices.

I think an upper limit of €200.00 is more than enough for a phone. To date, I've used the phone mainly for calls and texts but I'd like to branch out a little - What's App, camera use (occasionally), a certain amount of apps but not much more.

With that in mind, €200 is probably too much to spend. I can't see myself browsing the net on the phone - I can use my laptop for that. If I'm out, I don't plan to spend my time surfing the net.

Not that's WhatsApp uses a massive amount of data but just be careful with a pay as you sim and a smart phone. Know about your data usage when not connected to WiFi and how to turn of mobile data if your plan doesn't support much data usage.

I am running a Motorola g6 - apart from a recent battery issue after software update has been ok. I would Google / search phone forums if you don't get a recommendation here.

Seen a similar question asked and the following got recommended - all under 200 euros

1. Moto G7 power
2. Redmi Note 8
3. Huawei P Smart 2019
4. Mi A3

The AIB banking app is excellent if you are with them.
REVApp from revenue for doing MED1 etc
Laya have an app which is great as well.
News apps such as RTÉ, Journal, BBC
Weather app from Met Eireann
The kids school has an app

All very convenient and not social media.

Not that's WhatsApp uses a massive amount of data but just be careful with a pay as you sim and a smart phone. Know about your data usage when not connected to WiFi and how to turn of mobile data if your plan doesn't support much data usage.

I am running a Motorola g6 - apart from a recent battery issue after software update has been ok. I would Google / search phone forums if you don't get a recommendation here.

Seen a similar question asked and the following got recommended - all under 200 euros

1. Moto G7 power
2. Redmi Note 8
3. Huawei P Smart 2019
4. Mi A3
I have a Moto G7 power but I'm not sure I would recommend it in this case. It's a physicaly large device and intended for power-hungry users so it has a massive battery. The OP doesn't sound like a heavy user so it's probably overkill for them.

@OP what size phone are you coming from? Do you want something small or something with as big a screen as possible?

Only in the door and out the door again but here goes.

Thanks for all replies thus far. App recommendation are appreciated. Do BOI have similar to AIB?

I'll look at all recommendations when I return ... thanks for them!

Size phone - small but with declining eyesight and awkward fingers, texting has become cumbersome. i hit an 'o' and it's an 'i' comes up. Predictive text off.

I hadn't considered data use with What's App until mugsymugsy brought it up. I'll have to look at my plan and change accordingly but the bottom line is that I'm a light user of my phone.

Why would it be network locked?
What network would 'Littlewoods' be affiliated with?
Under 'sim free' if it was locked they would/should say yes and name the network.
Anyway, previous purchased phones from Littlewoods have been 'sim free'. Also their tech specs at times have been a bit 'vague'.;)

Just checked and under product description it does state "Network: SIM Free."

Last edited:
Just ordered one for She Who Must Be Obeyed and will let you know how it goes. Thanks people for all the advice and info, saves an awful lot of shopping around, etc.

If you switch your number to Vodafone you can get [broken link removed] for €50. I dislike smartphones; I'm thinking of buying myself a new phone, maybe this one.

Back