Is it dangerous to do a wash overnight?

Des Pondent

We are all being encouraged to get a smart meter and avail of Time Of Use / Night Tariffs etc.

This is encouraging people to use their washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher between 11pm and 8am when rates are cheapest and most will be asleep in their beds.

Google will throw up endless stories of appliances going on fire.

London Fire Department have their Firefighters bedtime checklist;

Close all internal doors to prevent smoke spreading if a fire starts.
Turn off and unplug electrical appliances unless they are designed to be left on - like your fridge or freezer.
Don’t leave the washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher on overnight and unattended.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/the-home/bedtime-checks/

Are people considering the safety aspect of these cheaper night rates ?
Are we going to see an increase in night fires caused by appliances catching fire when all in the household are asleep ?

Even if I am eventually forced onto a smart plan, I won’t be using my washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher at night.

I don't have a smart plan, I have a smart meter with a 24 unit rate plan. I wouldn't be leaving appliances on at night except for the fridge way too dangerous.

I had an assessor at the house on an unrelated issue. I happened to mention that I had intended to leave the dishwasher running when I left on an errand. He warned me that dishwashers, dryers and washing machines are the most dangerous and should not be left running unattended. Smart meter fitted this week. Will sign up to day night plan but will not be running these unattended.

I have a smart plan, but never run my washer/dryer overnight, I love my life and property.

Yet by doing some small changes (not running high power appliances like microwave/stove/washer/dryer) during the peak 1700-1900 and just keeping an eye on when I use other electronics, I managed to save over 200€ compared to what I would have to pay on a standard plan. I use some electronic heating which makes the saving a little higher as I avoid running it during peak. Plus charging during night hours for your standard things like laptop battery etc. also makes a difference.

It's not so much that you run stuff at night but the 15-minute interval reports make you so much more aware of what burns your money and when.

I don't get this paranoia about running washing machines/ dryers at night.

How many milions of washing/ drying cycles are run every year?

How many of those result in fires/ danger situations?

How many of that smaller number are caught in time, where people are in the vicinity?

Once you have a normal working machine, and a proper electrical system (which is a legal requirement), then there is absolutely no issue with running them at night.

We put our washing machine on at night rates and sometimes the dishwasher is on as well and sleep soundly every time
Never had or heard of any family or friends ever having an issue with their machines
The only people that I've heard this from is the fire officer when he came to my place of work for a fire safety lecture for the company and staff
Not saying it doesn't happen but I would have thought given the risk is so low and a proper working smoke alarm,
Their are other things I'd worry about first

The London fire brigade report states
"Last year in England, 1,873* fires were connected to using washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers"
Well out of an estimated 30 million houses that's a fairly low percentage, approximately .006%

How many of that smaller number are caught in time, where people are in the vicinity?

Once you have a normal working machine, and a proper electrical system (which is a legal requirement), then there is absolutely no issue with running them at night.
The experts in fires, the fire brigade say that they're a risk. I've known two people that had washing machines/dish washers go on fire, but that's just personal anecdotal data. Both happened to be there.

Its a risk / impact evaluation. The risk is low, but the impact is high. There is a huge difference in dealing with an emergency when you're up versus middle of the night, particularly if you've a young family to get out of the house.

I set up interconnected smoke alarms in every room in my house.
I used the relay switch on these to trip the electricity supply on smoke activation.
At the smoldering stage of a possible appliance fault the ignition source will be removed and the whole house awakened.

I originally set this system up as a result of listening to the horror stories on liveline regarding protein fires.

Essentially this is a pot of meat boiling dry and causing a horrible smell in the house which is almost impossible to get rid of.

I don't get this paranoia about texting while driving on the motorway.

How many millions of texts are sent by drivers on the roads every year?

How many of those result in life-changing disability or death?

How many of that smaller number are near misses that just damage the vehicle?

etc. etc.

There are enough threats to life outside of our control, we really don't need to add to the list.

I doubt any of us are so hard pressed for a few euro that we will take even a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of our families being burned alive.

My husband put on the dishwasher one morning around 6 am, then he left for work, I wandered into the kitchen an hour later to the smell of burning. I pulled out the dishwasher and unplugged it, it was definitely something to do with the power cord, so I got to it just in time. A colleague at work had their washing machine go up in flames the week before Christmas. A lot of smoke damage to the utility room, 2 teenagers at home at the time.

I agree firmly with Des, those three appliances should never be run at night while you are asleep or when you are out of the house.

The London fire brigade report states
"Last year in England, 1,873* fires were connected to using washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers"
Well out of an estimated 30 million houses that's a fairly low percentage, approximately .006%

There are around 30,000 house fires per year in England, so that stat above is saying that just over 6% are caused by those 3 appliances. The stat could be more significant depending on how many dwelllings have washing machine, dryer, dishwasher and how often they're in use. To me that seems high enough to not be worth the risk of running them while people are asleep.

It would seem to be on a par with smoking materials as a cause of fire and above candles, though that's from a quick glance at the pie chart in the link below and mixing and matching stats.

(No idea how trustworthy any of those stats are)

Some of the tumble dryer fires occur because people (including my elderly mother-in-law) don't bother to clean the lint filter. (And hers went on fire during the daytime, luckily we were able to put it out).

As a punishment, we won't let her use her all-night electric blanket except during daylight hours! :p

Last edited:
I run dishwasher and washing machine at night in a room with a smoke detector.

I don’t run tumbledryer as it has a lot more combustible material in it.

Is my logic right?

I was heading out one day and put the washing machine on in the hopes of avoiding the noisy old machine. Immediately smoke started to come out of the machine so that definitely taught me a lesson. Not worth the risk.

I was heading out one day and put the washing machine on in the hopes of avoiding the noisy old machine. Immediately smoke started to come out of the machine so that definitely taught me a lesson. Not worth the risk.
Was this not the correct thing to be learning about though: “noisy old machine”?

We have a night rate meter so run two dishwashers, the washing machine and charge the car overnight. All appliances are fairly modern and if one was old or noisy I would absolutely not be running it overnight. We run them around 5-6am when the house is starting to wake up so if there are any leaks we’ll discover them quickly. There are also interconnected smoke alarms throughout the house.

Was this not the correct thing to be learning about though: “noisy old machine”?

I don't trust machines much these days, be they new or old. The door fell off our 3 year old washing machine and even the supplier agreed that this should not happen.

Not a hope would I run any of those machines overnight while in bed or in fact while I am out of the house even with smoke detectors. Have a friend in the fire investigation field and have had enough of various warnings! When I bought my last dryer I had to contact him first for the list of most risky machines because there are certain brands far more likely to cause problems than others.

I dont think there are any plans that encourage people to cut back at peak times. I think a real 'smart' plan would enable use of other off peak times when people are still around to mind their machines. The cheaper night time rates could be used to heat up tank of water, charge an EV and fill up a battery. Smoke alarms are an essential in any household.

Running a washing machine on a low temperature wash such as 30-40°C likely uses negligible electricity compared to the heavier loads in the household, so there's probably not much to be gained overall from running it at night on a night/off-peak unit rate especially given the risk involved and the potentially high impact of a mishap.

Personally I don't use/run a dryer as I don't have space for one, but wouldn't even if I had as I find it easier, more economical, and more environmentally friendly to dry inside with a dehumidifier or, ideally, outside as I'm lucky to have the space to do this.

Back