Smart cars, any good?

rob30

I live and work in Dublin, and my commute to work is quite small, but I need the car to nip around the place as part of my job.
My current car is a gas guzzler (petrol, 220g CO2/km, that is quite bad) and I do not have a family.
I have been toying with the idea of a smart car, or a smaller diesel.
I do occasionally drive across the country and strap a board to the roof of the car.
Has anyone done similar, and can advise me of their opinion?

One of the guys at work used to have one and it was a piece of junk - he needed a jump start every evening as the battery wouldn't start it and i remember he said that tires for it for outrageously expensive considering the size of them. Likewise he tried selling it and couldn't get anyone foolish enough to take it off his hands. Stay clear I say - not to even think about how much of a clown you will look driving round in one.

hi

I'd say you'd be much better off with a smallish diesel like a Clio/207. If you don't really do too many miles it may be worth looking at a small petrol, depends on current and future VRT rates.

The Smart car (I assume you mean the two seat one) is an expensive gimmick. I was in a hired one once, never again. Check out www.honestjohn.co.uk.

'luck
SSE

one of the worst driving experiences i have ever had was in a hired Smart FourTwo - away on winter hol in France - starts snowing quite heavily - thing was useless - automatic transmission couldn't figure out what gear to use - slipped and slid around the road like a drunken teenager and got bogged down on any size of a hill - myself and the missus had to hop up and down on the front seats to get enough traction to get up the slightest incline- mind you, it must have been fun for other folks looking at us!

steer clear - smart my a"""e

Rather than buying a diesel which isn't cost effective unless you do an awful lot of miles in the year. You won't beat the cost savings of a 1L older Jap car, like a Micra etc. Costs little to buy, insure, tax etc. Reliable as anything. Light and nippy around town. Or buy a scooter and hire a car when going down the country?