"Small" renovation works.....

paulpd

Hello,

About to get quotes for a bit of work on a 3 bed terraced in Walkinstown (with rear lane access) for the following :

- 18sq metre kitchen extension roof changed from flat to pitched to include vulex window. (Roof to come from house down seeing as it’s south-facing at the back)
- Extension (above) completely re-plastered
- Complete rewire for the whole house including about 20 downlighters and surround sound downstairs. Also, most of the walls are concrete so chasing needs to be done
- Bathroom gutted – new suite / tiling.

Anyone had this done before and any idea of cost??

Thanks a lot!

Paulpd, would be interested in the quote you got for this esp the pitched roof. Also, any recommendations? Feel free to pm me if you dont want to give out names etc

Thanks in advance

Hi LuLu, I'll write out exactly what I'm getting done in the house and give the quote tomorrow....rushing out the door now! As for the pitched roof, was a non-starter due to the lack of available pitch from the house so the flat one remains.

Thanks

minimum 12 grand

4000 flat roof and windows
800 plastering
rewiring 6000
Bathroom depending on suite 2000
im not a builder but I got work done like that before in a house in Drimnagh.

Paulpd, would be interested in the quote you got for this esp the pitched roof. Also, any recommendations? Feel free to pm me if you dont want to give out names etc

Thanks in advance

Here's the work and the quote I got from a builder who was recommended to me by a friend. so far they have been great and very obliging. The work to date is great, although just the plumbing and half the rewire is done. The builder himself is arriving towards the end of the week to do his bit.

Plumbing :

- Remove old back boiler in back sitting room
- Install new Baxi system boiler
- Fit new 30x18 insulated cylinder and allow for seperate hot water summer valve
- Supply and fit new coffin plastic tank in attic
- Replace old bathroom suite with white carmina suite including steel bath.
- Plumb in for new sink in kitchen

Electrics :

Complete re-wire. 3 bed house. Solid walls everywhere. 24 low energy downlighters downstairs, surround sound all downstairs and bathroom including infra-red cable. 34 double sockets etc etc etc. Wired for alarm and smoke alarm too.

Building Works :

- Underpin kitchen foundations at rear of exension to stop further suspected sinking.
- Insulate and slab kitchen ceiling.
- Stud and slab to conceal pipes along one kitchen wall.
- Level kitchen floor. There's approx a 2 inch drop from back wall to front wall of kitchen.
- Skim ceilings and walls in kitchen area.
- Make good of all walls damaged as a result of electrical chasing.

Also, re-skim 2 walls in both living and sitting rooms.

Create wider attic opening on the landing and install attic ladder.

Box in pipes in one of the bedrooms.

Total cost E19,200 + VAT, Total E21,792.

I went up to the house yesterday and although the electrician is only halfway there (wires hanging everywhere), he completely hoovered the whole house. All in all delighted with them so far.

Thanks

Thanks paulpd, that seems like a great price, especially as you are getting quite a lot of work done.
And the pitched roof? Are you going ahead with that now or sticking with a flat roof?

I'm sticking with the flat roof as there would be far too much work (and money) involved in getting a pitch on it. I'd lose the height of the kitchen for a start. When we knocked out the old ceiling we found the joices to be in great condition having only being replaced in the past few years, (judging by the thickness of the insulation and the yellow colour of the joices.) Once the underpinning is done it'll be fine.

That old back boiler was in the back sitting room. The new one is being moved upstairs.