small little stove - practical or not?

PinotNoir

I would like to install a small woodburning stove into what will be our new dining/living area. If it goes in, it will be in the corner of the dining room.
There will be no rads off it or anything like that - just meant to be used as an occasional space heater (i'm thinking of the waterford stanley ones)
Now the things is I'm wondering are these things a big waste of money?
Its gonna cost about 500 and another 650 to install it.
Does anyone have one of them? What is your experience of the stove?
Many thanks!!

Hi

We have one of these in a TV Room for the last 5 - 6 Years. Room is 4m by 4m and we burn briquettes or blocks in the stove. Very Economical to run and heats this space very well (too well sometimes, we usually end up opening the double door into another room as the area gest too warm to sit in. Heat can be dry. I would say that .5 bale of briquettes would run the stove for an evening (6'ish to 11'ish?).

I'd recommend it.

My parents have one, the heat is fantastic....I'll be getting one too, I think they're great

Do you mind me asking why 650 to install? Is it because there is no chimney or flue where it is going?

Hi Irishlinks
I think that includes the flue kit. I also hope to do a bit better on the installation... I'm gonna find out exactly how much the flue kit will cost, and see if our builders will do it for cheaper...

The are very warm if it is a dining room you would have to be well back from the stove as the get very warm. maybe you should link it to you heating system and it will heat your rads when it is going to be lighting anyway. the are as easy to light as an open fire.

The heat from one of these stand-alone stoves can be great (or as other posters noted, sometimes too great), but it is not a small (nor cheap) job to link it to your rads via a back-boiler. If you do, it will take a long time to build up sufficient heat in the fire to heat the room (cos the heat is sucked out of it, into the rads) and it will take a lot of heat in the fire to make a difference to the rads.

If you use a stand-alone stove, the smallest one will probably be more than you need for an average sized room, and they are usually quite economical on fuel. Your installation price does sound a bit steep though!

You see I am not installing in a room where there is a pre-existing chimney so they will need to go out, and outside the house and up the chimeny level and so on. Heard today that the installation supplies will cost nearly 750€ and that does not include labout. Disheartened....

Thinking of getting one also. Quick question, Did you remove the old fireplace and insert first?

My parents got one installed recently, the smallest Stanley there is. There is no need to remove fireplace so long as the stove you put in isn't any bigger than the space you have at the moment. You will have to seal the gap between the existing opening for your fireplace and the actual stove itself. The installer will know what to do.

My folks would have had trouble lighting their fire before due to draughts etc. but they have no problems with this stove, it lights instantly. Great heat out of it. No back boiler. I have a large stove with back boiler which I was going to install but both my plumber and Waterford Stanley man have advised me not to go for back boiler. I'm still confused as to why - I previously had a back boiler in my fireplace, which the plumber disconnected on me a few months ago. I think it just messes up his whole configuration of my Stanley Range. For now, it sits patiently in its box in the garage....

I have a stanley oil cooker and I have a jotul stove with a back boiler - no problems at all.

See the second sentence of my first paragraph above. The boiler takes so much heat out of the fire that the fire barely produces more than a low grade heat for the room. I'd say that's why they're not well loved!

Can you let me know please where you got your quote from? I just got a quote to put one in to an existing fireplace (so most stuff in place), bit of work required to make opening bigger but its 2235 + VAT. It was from Fentons in Greystones. sounds a lot considering the stove retails for 499.