small kitchen - want to fit cooker,washer/drier,hob,microwave!!

Audrey

My kitchen is smallish (galley style). Currently everything fits comfortably (cooker, normal fride, cupboards, microwave). We use a laundrette for the weekly wash. We want to get a washer or washer/drier for this purpose. This will mean dropping the oven(!), putting the washer into that space, putting a hob on top of that. All sounds good, except for the oven (which we would use occasionally). Thinking of one of the microwaves that also functions as an oven, but would prefer not to go that route if possible. What about a wall oven? Would that fit comfortably above the hob?? For clarity, think of one spot in the kitchen that's a couple of feet wide and as high as the ceiling. Washer would go in first, then worktop with space cut-out of it for hob, then I'm thinking of oven on wall. Is that too close to the hob? Has anybody else had this problem (and solved it)? Ceiling isn't very high (another problem) and slants. Can't extend. Can't do anything to make the space biggger. So, any suggestions?

I don't think it would be very safe to put a washing machine under a hob, and definately not safe to mount an oven on wall over hob. Will the washing maching fit in the hot-press, bathroom, outdoor shed?

I don't think it would be very safe to put a washing machine under a hob, and definately not safe to mount an oven on wall over hob. Will the washing maching fit in the hot-press, bathroom, outdoor shed?
Afraid not. No hot-press to speak of (just enough room for boiler and a few towels; not enough space in bathroom. There is an outside shed which is full of tools etc at present. Could consider that, especially as I did go to the trouble of having it (shed) wired for electricity. Not plumbed though - how would that work?

The hob will extend somewhat below the worktop, and even if there was space for a washer/dryer, the heat generated will cause problems. The only thing you should have over a hob is an extractor, and even then there is a minimum distance between the hob and anything above it. check the hob manual for the recommendation.

I belive you can get full size oven units with built-in microwaves now, rather than a stand alone microwave with an oven function. Call into somewhere like Discount Electrical with details of your kitchen layout and they may come up with some solutions that suit.
Leo

We stayed in a house in Holland once ... where the washer/dryer were on the top floor landing. They didn't use a washing line so there was no need to put out the washing ... everything could be dealt with upstairs. Just a thought.

Could you put your fridge on top of the washer/dryer? You'd have to obviously make some cabinet so the fridge doesn't shake with the spinning washer?

Back