Small insects on gable of house

Astra

I have a problem with swarms of small tiny flies on the outside of my house for the past month or so. I think they might be midges or something similar. The congregate in their masses around the chimney and down the lengths of the gables. Everytime I open a door some of them get in and I am afraid to open windows at this stage.
I was hoping last weeks frost would kill them but they seem to be back again. Has anyone else encountered this?

Fruitflies, maybe? They're pretty small. If you're living in a rural area, it definitely could be, depending on what crops are in the area - my in-laws have intermittent problems with them. They haven't managed any solutions, though, bar one of those electronic bug-zappers - and scrupulous kitchen hygiene to make sure there's nothing to attract them.

Not sure exactly what euonymous is but will look it up. Have an ivy covered front garden wall so could they come from there? Getting that sprayed so that might work.
House is rural and on edge of wood so I guess it might just come with the area. Dont worry about kitchen hygiene, going round with hoover in one hand sucking up those that get in and antibacterial spray in the other!
Thanks

It's a shrub sometimes used as hedge. Comes in all shapes and sizes and attracts blackfly. If you live in a rural area it comes with the territory I'd say. There are lots of them about everywhere at this time of year. Swarms in my garden a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks, will check out whats growing nearby and failing that, pray for artic temperatures!