small herd of cattle came through my open gate & damaged my property.

TheFatMan

Hi folks

I'm a dislocated Dub living in a beautiful rural environment for the last 8 years. We've been surrounded by sheep, cattle and horses in that time. We have owned a dog over this period and have been very cautious to insure it hasnt worried any of the livestock. Always careful as we know our neighbours make a living through their livestock, the dog was contained with an electric collar and fence. Sadly the dog passed away last week.

Last night at 3am a small herd of cattle came through my as usual open gate and did a bit of damage to some of my property (a car and an outside light) as well as eating some of the shrubbery. The plants are not a concern but they left a fierce big dint in my wife's car.

I have controlled and contained my animal for 8 years to prevent him doing damage to my neighbours property. Should I expect the same courtesy from my neighbours? Can I seek the owner of the cattle to make good the damage done by his animals?

I don't know if they are legally required to, but I do know friends of mine when growing up had their lawn got churned up a bit after cattle broke out of their field and came into their garden. The farmer sorted or paid for the repair but i'd guess it was pretty small cost.

You should approach them and see what they say

IME farmers are usually pretty reasonable about stuff like this.

Although, and I'm sure you don't need to hear this, I'm very surprised that living where you are, you leave your gate open - especially during the night. We never do.

Not any more anyway :eek:

Hi Caveat

While the dog was alive nothing or nobody would make it through that gate without us knowing. Always had to leave the gate open otherwise we ran the risk of some lunatic doing 120kph on a small country road running up our backside when we slowed to turn in or pulled out.

Now that the dog is gone its going to cost me a fortune to reset the gate posts to widen it for access and to put a remote gate on it.

Might think about digging a cattle grill now too! ;)

Last edited:
Back