Small estate advice needed

thelad77

I Went to the bank , they gave me a form to fill out.
my brother passed away a few years ago.
theres 15k in the bank account.it says certified copy of proof of adress of people acting for the estate.
does this mean i just bring my esb bill and a letter from the hse with my name and adress and get a local garda to stamp it and sign it to show it is a genuine document .
Could i just go to a free legal advice centre and just get a solicitor to certify my esb bill and the letter from the hse ,to prove my adress .
there is no will .i intend to close down the account with the bank and i presume the bank will issue a cheque to me and my sisters .
i have my birth cert , and public service card with photo id.
it says i need certified copy of proof of id , so i assume i get my birth cert certified .
it says i need certified copy of the death certificate too.
Thanks fro any advice or info you can provide on this matter .

I Went to the bank , they gave me a form to fill out.
my brother passed away a few years ago.
theres 15k in the bank account.it says certified copy of proof of adress of people acting for the estate.
does this mean i just bring my esb bill and a letter from the hse with my name and adress and get a local garda to stamp it and sign it to show it is a genuine document .
Could i just go to a free legal advice centre and just get a solicitor to certify my esb bill and the letter from the hse ,to prove my adress .
there is no will .i intend to close down the account with the bank and i presume the bank will issue a cheque to me and my sisters .
i have my birth cert , and public service card with photo id.
it says i need certified copy of proof of id , so i assume i get my birth cert certified .
it says i need certified copy of the death certificate too.
Thanks fro any advice or info you can provide on this matter .

Others may know the probate process better and it may be a bit more rigorous for probate - but usually when a certified copy of something is requested it is when you are sending in a copy and the receiver needs to know it is a genuine copy. But if you can go into the bank with the originals, they might be fine taking a copy there and the bank official effectively "certifies" it - if they were ok doing that it would make the process easier. Certification usually requires a lawyer or similar.

I'm assuming they will want a photo ID (Passport, Driving License, Public Service Card) and two items proving address - so ESB bill, letter from HSE or similar should be fine. You probably don't need a birth cert if you have these.

So if you have originals of these and the death cert, drop into the bank (almost impossible to phone these days) and ask if they can accept taking copies there and then to certify

Bank staff can certify your ID. Bring the death Cert also as they will need to take a copy.

I wouldn't assume the bank will issue a cheque to you and your sisters - procedures vary and not every bank will release funds and if they do an indemnity can be requested. Did your brother own any property or was he in receipt of a means tested social welfare payment? You need to check that he had no outstanding debts before funds are divided.

You will be unable to access these funds without probate, I would be shocked if you got access to this account and if you do you will sign a waiver giving the Bank the ability to chase you if necessary, your other posts and replies to them have outlined a way forward for you, you can also hire a Solicitor, also discussed in your other posts.

Please use paragraphs and punctuation.

I think you are asking about how you certify your copy documents.

The simplest thing is to bring the originals and let the bank make copies.

Back