Small car insurance claim

gerrymaguire

Hi All, fortunately, this is the first time we have had an insurance claim and it's only minor. But I need your advice due to lack of experience in the area.

The damage to the other persons car is on their rear bumper and will cost approx €1000 - €1,300 to fix (depending on if assessor agrees with those quotes)

Cash is important to us as we have a large family household.

Should I put through insurance or just pay in cash?
  • Insurance excess is €500
  • There isn't a no claims protection for claims under a certain value on our policy
  • But there is a row back to two years no claims rather than losing the whole lot - so our discount would go down to 20% next year instead of 50% currently.
I have read that you can pay back the insurer if the end result isn't as bad as you expect and then retain your no claims, is that true?
Surely they charge for the assessor and admin etc?

Thank you for your advice.

If it were me, and I am by no means what would be considered as "well off", I would pay it myself, rather than being effectively 'tied' to your present
insurer with an inflated premium for the next 5 years.

Look at it this way, you have to pay out €500 anyway, so for another €500 - €800 you will not impact on your present NCB at all.
In the long run, you will save yourself not only money but a lot of hassle as well.

NB:- this is assuming that the third party plays fair as well.

You need to inform your insurer of the accident, pay it yourself is the way to go but do not admit liability, let the insurer know this was a very minor matter, a tip, and you are reporting it as you should however you do not expect a claim.

Remember they could have neck injuries and a personal accident claim once they talk to their friends...sorry I meant to say Doctor and by advising your insurer you are putting them on notice.

Back