Small (14 or 15 inch) LCD flatscreen TV

hansov

Anybody know where I could pick up a (value) 14/15 inch LCD TV? Currys are doing a Logix for €229 and Power City have a Beko for €299. Doesn't have to be a brand name (for example the Logix isn't one I have heard of before).

Check the picture before you buy.

I have both a Beko and a Samsung (Not sure about Pricing)
The picture definition on the Samsung is much better especially in the night-time or darkly lit scenes.

burkemg said:

The picture definition on the Samsung is much better especially in the night-time or darkly lit scenes.

I have the Samsung 15". Picture is acceptable, if not perfect.

Best price I got for it was €359 in Currys. It's worth shopping around even between different Currys stores as they can have different offers in different stores.

For example, when shopping for tv for a friend, 28" was same price in Blanch and Liffey Valley, but Liffey Valley had a free DVD player.

burkemg said:

I have the Samsung 15". Picture is acceptable, if not perfect.

Best price I got for it was €359 in Currys. It's worth shopping around even between different Currys stores as they can have different offers in different stores.

For example, when shopping for tv for a friend, 28" was same price in Blanch and Liffey Valley, but Liffey Valley had a free DVD player.

Just got a very nice 15" LCD from Argus for the kitchen, 249euro, pict and sound is very good, Dixions have a smaller one for 229euro but " out of Stock"

I was given a 17 inch LCD tv as a present a while ago - the people who were giving it to me initially gave me a Beko TV which didn't work so it had to be brought back (to Power City). They got a replacement Beko. Which didn't work either! So they ended up just getting me a Phillips (nice).

Was thinking about this 17 inch babe from misco. [broken link removed] . However reading the spec it says:"The 710MP delivers next-generation TV functionality with its built-in TV tuner. It also includes a remote control, RCA video & audio, S-Video and a built-in antenna connector to accommodate RGB analog input and PAL". My question is if I purchase this TV from the UK once I hook it into my ntl cable, will it give me all the channels that I can get on a TV purchased in Ireland.

Kerak,

What is the quality like on the 15" lcd you purchased in Argos?
Was thinking of buying one, so would appreciate any comments on it.

Also, if it is wall mounted, is there anywhere to mount an NTL Digital box?

Cheers,

Jason.

I have decided not to go with the Samsung LCD posted earlier. I am slightly put off by the fact it is a monitor first, TV second and probably picture quality isn't the best because of this. And since I started looking, I found it in DID cheaper! Might go there to see the quality over the weekend.

Interested in the quality of the Argos TV. I want to wall mount the TV so there is going to be a further cost in buying the mount. I know that some Samsung models (Am I correct ronan_d_john?) come with a stand which doubles as a wall-mount thus saving you an extra 30 or 40 euros.

I have a 15" Samsung LCD in the bedroom and the picture quality is great. I don't think it's meant to be a monitor first and tv second so maybe it's a different model to the one you're looking at.

The only annoying thing is that it makes an annoying noise when turned on and off.

Hi Cahir: The model I was looking at claims: "Samsung SyncMaster 710MP is a TFT-LCD monitor that takes the concept of multi-tasking to an entirely new level. This 17-inch flat-panel display functions as a computer monitor, a TV and a video monitor - all in one" and when somebody quotes a max resolution of 1280 x 1024 (75 Hz) it reminds me of a monitor's spec. Am I right or wrong anybody? Yes I have seen the Samsung 15 inch and it is good. If this guy was as good, I'd be jumping on it asap.

Argos 15inch, no problems , picture seems fine, remote control is a but small. its on its own small stand , but there is a wall bracket in catalogue I think, for less than 250 euro, we now have a big chunk of counter top back in the kitchen!

There is no difference between the panels in PC monitors and TVs, they're all made in one of very few factories worldwide. Many of these arejoint ventures, Samsungs latest plant is a JV with Sony which came online in the last quarter.

The primary difference is the extra electronics required to incorporate the tuner.
Leo

Leo said:
There is no difference between the panels in PC monitors and TVs, they're all made in one of very few factories worldwide. Many of these arejoint ventures, Samsungs latest plant is a JV with Sony which came online in the last quarter.

The primary difference is the extra electronics required to incorporate the tuner.
Leo

I think some manufacturers are adding other technologies to LCD's to make them brighter and have a wider viewing angle e.g. Sony with XBrite.
I'd imagine these types of features would be more likely to be put into LCD's intended for TV/Video watching first rather than standard PC monitors.

XBrite and other features of the panel itself is available on PC monitors as well. It's not economical to produce two versions of the same size panel. Sony and Samsung's latest plant cost $4 billion to set up, and LCD margins are dropping rapidly. Generally, panels of 23" and above are considered destined for TVs, below that they are suitable for TV or monitor use.
Leo

Rainyday,

Some Sharp flatscreens have a radio tuner on them, accessed via a button on the remote. Standard (non-digital) cable has radio signals on it, including all the BBCs ...

Bootdog said:
Rainyday,

Some Sharp flatscreens have a radio tuner on them, accessed via a button on the remote. Standard (non-digital) cable has radio signals on it, including all the BBCs ...
Many thanks Bootdog - In relation to your 2nd point, how can you pick up the radio signals on your TV? I've hooked up my audio tuner to the NTL signal before to get top-quality FM stereo sound, but I never knew you could pick this up on your TV?

Back