Slugs on lawn

I have spent most spring roaming around the garden with the salt shaker in hand. This literally disolves slugs and snails but is long term toxic for the soil and burns any plants you sprinkle the salt around.

I didn't find the slug pellets to work at all and my attempts with beer were absolutely useless.

However, after 'salting' and killing slugs or a good while, there seem to be a lot less than before. I would love to try the garlic solution but we have a dog and I wouldn't want to poison him. Can anyone explain how is garlic poisonous to dogs? Surely if you spray 'garlicky' water on your plants it won't hurt the dog as he doesn't eat them???

I read somewhere that slugs don't like ashes either so you may want to try and sprinkle some of them over your lawn.

Stabbing them with a garden hoe works as well. Or snipping in two with a scissors. Birds eat the remains.

Gory but no chemical residues. And feels strangely satisfying .....!

Stabbing them with a garden hoe works as well. Or snipping in two with a scissors. Birds eat the remains.

Bet you hang cats up by their tails! Er, no will not really be adopting this approach. Tried the garlic suggestion but it hasn't really worked yet. Saw plenty of them there earlier. The organic pellets seems and interesting proposition if this fails.

Go out with a torch on a night when it has rained and you will be able to gather them up . Then what you do is up to you.......let them off into a disliked neighbour's garden( Alan Titchmarsh's suggestion!!), put them onto a load of salt or release them into a local field.

Unfortunately, I've done a lot of this as it seems to be the only effective method of getting rid of slugs.