Slugs on lawn

DeclanP

Over the past couple of nights I have discovered fairly sizable black slugs on the lawn. They are not welcome additions to the place and was wondering if there is something that can be applied to dissuade them from coming around. Some have even got caught up in the lawnmower!!!

A glass of beer. They will crawl up side of glass and fall in and die happy .... Trust me it works.

Question. Would slug pellets be poisonous for birds? Might try the glass of beer option.Someone has also told me about spreading salt or salty water on the lawn. Anyone hear of this solution?

Glass of beer actually does work. Only thing I noticed though was that even though I was getting rid of a few every night, more and more seemed to be turning up for the party. Rotten hermaphrodic slimeballs .... Sounds like a party I ended up at in London one night ....

Hi,
Coffee in the slug trap works as well as beer....I read but haven't tried it out as yet, that to eliminate future generations of them from you garden to lay some wooden boards out in August and dump them a few weeks later, they lay their eggs on them at that time and that combined with eradication of the current ones may eventually do the trick, though I can't imagine any garden in Ireland being totally free of them, the other thing is to get a hedgehog?! but you couldn't lay slug pellets if you did.

All these are useless as they draw more slugs. If you want rid of slugs use slug pellets, just read the link.

Boil up a large clove of garlic and spray the mixture of the lawn and any plants that are attractive to slugs. This keeps them away as they don't like the garlic. It's is totally non toxic to children, animals and costs a lot less than some of the expensive slug pellets sold in gardening centres. It works as I've used it several times.

Like the garlic idea and will give a try this evening. Am apprehensive about the slug pellets so will try the easy (and cheapest) option first. Can also see that the beer solution would be more of an attraction than a deterrent. Has anyone herd of a product called nemoslug.Someone mentioned it to me.

Boil up a large clove of garlic and spray the mixture of the lawn and any plants that are attractive to slugs. This keeps them away as they don't like the garlic. It's is totally non toxic to children, animals and costs a lot less than some of the expensive slug pellets sold in gardening centres. It works as I've used it several times.

My wife is the gardener in this family,

She would love this idea

Over the past couple of nights I have discovered fairly sizable black slugs on the lawn. They are not welcome additions to the place and was wondering if there is something that can be applied to dissuade them from coming around. Some have even got caught up in the lawnmower!!!

No matter what posters above have said, you'll never be free of slugs and snails in Ireland. Can I ask why they bother you so much? Do you have herbaceous perennials that are being eaten, or is your garden entirely in lawn? If just lawn, I'd ask whether it's worth the hassle to fight a battle you're never going to win - least of all with poisonous chemicals or slug pellets (btw those poisonous chemicals can include garlic as suggested by one poster - it is poisonous to dogs and extremely poisonous to cats).

Life's too short to get so worked up about a fact of nature - you'll never win - at best you'll reduce numbers somewhat, at worst you'll end up poisoning your land and local wildlife.

Slug pellets - very effective for precious plants alright, but looks nasty. Broken egg shells crunched into small pieces also works.

No matter what posters above have said, you'll never be free of slugs and snails in Ireland. Can I ask why they bother you so much? Do you have herbaceous perennials that are being eaten, or is your garden entirely in lawn? If just lawn, I'd ask whether it's worth the hassle to fight a battle you're never going to win - least of all with poisonous chemicals or slug pellets (btw those poisonous chemicals can include garlic as suggested by one poster - it is poisonous to dogs and extremely poisonous to cats).

Life's too short to get so worked up about a fact of nature - you'll never win - at best you'll reduce numbers somewhat, at worst you'll end up poisoning your land and local wildlife.

Er indoors is the only herbaceous perennial in the place and the slugs are driving her bananas. She won't go out onto the lawn anymore for fear of treading on them. Either the slugs go or she does! Mmm, wait a minute. But, anyway, they are just a recent arrival. Have the lawn in place for six years. There are shrub beds and trees in the vicinity but why have they suddenly taken a fancy to my gaff now???

There is a new pellet product based on a naturally occurring active ingredient called Ferric Phosphate sold in a predominately blue plastic cylindrical container as "Advanced Slug Killer" and has "Advanced Ferramol Bait technology" at the bottom of the label. It is made by 'GRowing success organics ltd' and distributed in Ireland by ' Ground force ltd' Magna Business Park, Citywest Road,Dublin 24. ( I have no connection with them but I find the product very good when used as directed.It is safe to use around edible and non edible plants. The pellets are rain fast and eventually breakdown into naturally occurring biproducts. After consuming the pellets, slugs cease to feed. B&Q stocked the product last year but this year either sold out early or didn't restock. However I managed to get a supply in Atlantic Homecare in Cork. The granules take up water and swell which how slugs like them best! I should avoid the usual slug pellets which I think contain a methaldehyde related substance. They are quite environmentally unfriendly.

Hens love to eat slugs only problem you would need about 40 of them for an average sized lawn as they like to eat a variety of forages on the plus side you would have plenty eggs. Salt is another cure but it damages the lawn.

Back