Slow Wireless broadband

clipper1981

Hi,

I have BT broadband with the 2MB connection. I am using the supplied Zyxel router. My DSL connection is working perfect when connected to the laptop. When I try to use the wireless connection the Internet is reallly slow with pages hanging or timing out. The signal strength is displaying as excellent. Can anyone offer me some advice as how to resolve this?

Thank You.

interference so change the channel on the bt yoke, the default is 11 or 7 pick another , log into the interface and poke around to do so

your laptop will find it on the new channel no worries

Thanks 2pack. When you say log into the interface do you mean run the configuration tool and change the channel here?

Note that only channels 1, 6 and 11 are theoretically (althought not actually) non overlapping. Best to use something like NetStumbler to suurvey your location for existing wireless networks and see if you can choose of one those channels to minimise interference on yours. Also check for other 2.4GHz devices (e.g. microwave ovens, 2.4GHz video senders, 2.4GHz baby monitors etc.) that are used continuously/frequently, determnine their frequency and try to choose an 802.11 channel that avoids these. NetStumbler will only detect 802.11 networks and not other 2.4GHz devices. To detect non 802.11 2.4GHz devices you would need some sort of frequency analyser. This article might be worth a read.

Back