Slow performing laptop

car

Ive got an application running on a laptop that requires thousands of files and folders to be created (approx 20000 with files with 7-800 folders). Over time the laptop has slowed considerably (more then youd expect). Ive cleaned everything off that I can, have very little apps starting on boot, cleaned registry, used crap cleaner to get rid of all unecessary files, defragged the disk but still its slowish compared to what it used to be. Laptop has 100GB HD with 2GB of RAM. Id never have more then 4-5GB free on the disk. when defragging, I have to move off 60GB of the app files and folders to create space for the defrag to work (needs at least 15% free on disk). The laptop does show an improvemens in speed when i do this. Would a large number of files and folders on a disk cause performance issues? If so any workarounds? cheers..

You should use something like ProcessExplorer (much better than the built in Task Manager) to check what exactly is going on when the laptop is performing sluggishly - e.g. is some process hogging the CPU or is something stuck doing disk I/O etc.

Id never have more then 4-5GB free on the disk.
Cant you move some of it off - either onto a usb hard drive - or stick in an additional big drive (cheap as chips these days) into your home pc (if you have one.

As regards the laptops performance, cant beat a full reinstall. A bit of an investment of time but worth it in the long run.

Back