Slow Downstream with ClickSilverPlus

sherib

Would anyone have any idea why my connection speed using ClickSilverPlus is only 860kbps? UTV told me it should be at least 1.6 and they're investigating - for a week now. They said yesterday they're waiting to hear from Eircom and it'll be another week.

Checked status with Blaster and it shows downstream of 1024kbps. C.S.Plus is supposed to be a 2 MB connection. Could it be because the line was split (by an Eircom technician) in the past because I have Eircom PhoneWatch. Can't think of any other reason myself but maybe there is one. If it can't be rectified it looks as if I'll never get a faster connection on ASDL except by going Wireless.
Is there any user out there with PhoneWatch and using the same package who's getting the correct connection speed? I'm still using the USB port for the modem/router and haven't got that Ethernet Card yet. But no failure to connect since I enabled Auto reconnect to ISP when launching Web Browser.

sherib said:
Would anyone have any idea why my connection speed using ClickSilverPlus is only 860kbps? UTV told me it should be at least 1.6 and they're investigating - for a week now. They said yesterday they're waiting to hear from Eircom and it'll be another week.

Checked status with Blaster and it shows downstream of 1024kbps. C.S.Plus is supposed to be a 2 MB connection. Could it be because the line was split (by an Eircom technician) in the past because I have Eircom PhoneWatch. Can't think of any other reason myself but maybe there is one. If it can't be rectified it looks as if I'll never get a faster connection on ASDL except by going Wireless.
Is there any user out there with PhoneWatch and using the same package who's getting the correct connection speed? I'm still using the USB port for the modem/router and haven't got that Ethernet Card yet. But no failure to connect since I enabled Auto reconnect to ISP when launching Web Browser.

If your Blaster is showing 1024 then I think someone (I don't know if it would be UTV or Eircom) has fluffed the enabling on your account and given you 1MB instead of 2MB, the difference between 860kbps and 1024kbps is possibly network overhead (whose speed test are you using your ISP's or one you found on the net?)

I am not sure what you mean by "get a faster connection on ASDL except by going Wireless"
If you mean going with a fixed wireless setup from the likes of Irish Broadband then it wouldn't be "ADSL" any more (they are still broadband but ADSL refers to broadband over telephone lines)

Originally posted by Dam099
....I think someone (I don't know if it would be UTV or Eircom) has fluffed the enabling on your account and given you 1MB instead of 2MB..

Thanks. That's what I thought too but if Utv made that mistake, wouldn't they know they did? Or maybe an Eircom technician has to change the settings - if so that would explain the delay. I'd just like to know why it's taking so long to rectify. Do you know if the connection has to be physically set by an Eircom technician?

What I meant about maybe having to go Wireless is that if the slow connection is because of my line being split (due to PhoneWatch), I couldn't get a faster connection on ASDL from anyone else, e.g. EsatBT (very attractive lately) or by returning to Eircom. I don't want to go Wireless unless there's no other way.

Back