Slovakian currency

MissThing

I just phoned my bank to order some Slovakian Kronas (sp.) to be told that they can't oblige - I'm flying on Tuesday, any suggestions other than the FX desk at the airport on how I can get some currency?

just take cash out of an ATM with your cash / credit card when you get there.. the rates will be just as good if not better than buying hard cash before you arrive. The EURSKK rate is currently 34 Koruna for 1 EUR, expect a retail transaction to attract c.2% margin so you should get a rate in the region of 33 - 33.5..

Thanks I had considered that, just wasn't sure what rate/cash advance penanties I would endure. Thanks again.

I was there a few weeks ago and there is no problem using ATMs or changing at one of the forex kiosks in town. The rates are very competitive but dont use the hotels or airport as they are a ripoff.

Re: Slovakian currency & airport hotel

Great thanks. Another question....can anyone recommend a Brataslava airport hotel which offers airport transfer. I did stay in one last oct (can't remember the name) but it smelt of cat pee. (sorry to be so crude)
MT

We stayed at the Danube Hotel. Its about 15mins from airport and is nice hotel. Think it's a four star but not too pricey and it's well located. As far as I remember they offer airport transfers but they have a website so you can check it out if you want.

I was in Slovakia at a wedding in September last year and I paid for the hotel with my Laser/Maestro card and withdrew cash at an ATM. The exchange rate I got was quite good so personally I wouldn't bother with ordering Krona from an Irish bank.

Sorry I can't be of any assistance re the hotel as i didn't stay in Bratislava.

I stayed in the Crowne plaza hotel, really nice and only about 15 mins from the airport. It was about €45/night (twin room). I think there was a similar thread to this a couple of months ago if you want to check it out?