Sliding Door

Aidomoss

I want to put in a standard sized (6.8' x 2.8') solid sliding door. I'm looking for a system where you don't have a track on the floor i.e. Just a track on the top and maybe one to the side where the door will be sliding back into. This part of the door will be hidden. Wondering if it is possible to do without the bottom track on the floor? Its going between the bedroom and en-suite so a track on the floor could be sore on the bare feet (have UFH so no need for slippers). Have looked at previous treads but they seem to deal with sliding wardrobe doors. Any help appreciated.

They can be done without a track on the floor, but I would'nt recommend it. You should look up 'Henderson Sliding Gear' at a good hardware.

(personally I think that the door should also be caught at the bottom as well to prevent it from twisting - especially as it is a damp atmosphere that you putting it into)

Thanks for that NHG. I'll check that out. There is a door between the en-suite and the door I want to slide ( 2 doors to get to En-suite....hence the sliding door) so hopefully dampness won't be a problem. I'm hoping that the door can be supported from the side some how........I think I might be hoping for a lot......... at least I'll know if it can be done properly or not. Thanks again.

it can be done, my sister has it in her bedroom to ensuite, doors a bit wabbly when opening/closing though, not sure if the safest!

Have a look at any automatic sliding door in a shop. The door does not have any ground track. They are top hung and sit over a block fitted to the floor. The block is only about 2" long and made from nylon.

The bottom of the dor can be rebated to the size of the block. The door will slide perfectly and the block will make sure that it doesn't wobble.

Paul24