slates direct

barry75

Hi all ,
I am searching around for slates for the roof at the moment.was going to go with tegral.But has came across [broken link removed] they sell natural slates at a good price.has anyone any experence with these type of slates.Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi Barry75, please respect the posting guidelines and don't [broken link removed] posts.
Leo

Barry, I've done alot of searching for natural slates. Slates direct have varly competitive prices, beware of brazilian natural slates though. They've a repetition for being brittle, and some require additional clipping at the bottom. There is also alot of wastage sometimes with cheaper natural slates.
I'm building myself at the minute and am going to use a reconstituted natural slate by Capco (cambrian slate);60% natural slate and 40% resin. It looks good in the flesh, and unlike natural slate there is no grading required. It has a 60 year guarantee, and is meant to weather just like a natural slate.
Best of luck with the natural slate if you go with it.

Roundy,

Are CAPCO slates available in any builders providers? How do they compare price-wise with Tegral fibre slates? I'm very interested in the 60 year guarantee.

I've agreed all prices with capco, but will get the materials through my local hardware. The cambrian reconstituted slates work out at €1.95 per slate + VAT. Quite a bit more expensive than the tegral. Haven't current prices on the tegral, as I didn't want to consider them at all.
If truth be told I'd like to go for a real natural slate. I wouldn't go for the cheaper ones that would be the same price as the cambrian above, and the good natural slates (blue bangor, well graded spanish slates etc.) are abit too expensive for me.

best of luck