Slate versus Granite

MAJJ

We are, most likely, going for a cast iron combination fireplace and having it set up for gas but also forward planning some detail so it may be changed back to solid fuel i.e. having a split hearth. Most places sell granite hearths but where I am looking they are recommending a slate hearth instead of a granite one as the believe it's easier to maintain/repair and also matches cast iron fireplace more. They are traditionalists and I have no reason to doubt them but when I have no experience it's best to reach out.

So here I am, again, looking for peoples views on the topic and the relative pros/cons of both. On the aesthetics front the fireplace is not that disimalair to this one in the Gallery range 48 " Denbeigh - http://www.galleryfireplaces.co.uk/show_product.php?from_flash=1&product_id=119

Thanks
MAJJ

Hi there

We have a slate hearth after previously having had granite.

Would definitely recommend granite. Slate appears to be very soft and shows all marks. Granite showed nothing and was great.

We have a gas file but you have to move the front of the grate to turn it on. Very easy to scratch the slate. Dust also collects on the slate at a much faster rate to granite or maybe it is that you can see it on the slate before the granite.

If you do go slate, best way to keep it clean is baby oil. Messy job though.

phoenix said:
Would definitely recommend granite. Slate appears to be very soft and shows all marks. Granite showed nothing and was great.
Agree with phoenix - we have a polished granite hearth at home and it looks as good as the day we got it - 6 years ago. We have a slate hearth in a rental property and it looks awful! We've cleaned it a few times - there's a special liquid for cleaning, costs about €80 a tin - but it's not long until it's back to looking shabby again.