Slander/defamation of character

sinead76

I have been told recently of things a person was saying about myself and my family to a customer in the shop she works in. This woman and her family have been spreading malicious lies about me for about 4 years now (I used to go out with the womans brother). While the woman in question wouldn't be my favourite person I would chat away to her when buying things in the shop. She said to a friend of mine that me and my family were "nothing but bas**rds" and other lies about us, about which my friend promptly told me. This woman and her mother and brother (my ex but we live and learn!) are telling everyone and anyone who'll listen the same old lies and in a small town like ours, people are giving me dirty looks in the street (okay maybe its part paranoia, but i used to spend a lot of time in their house and know how evil their tongues can be).

What rights do I have in this case? I don't want to go involving the guards/solicitors but I don't want them getting away with it. I really just want them to shut up and stop bad-mouthing us and was thinking of giving her a (verbal!) warning but knowing her she would say I threatened her.

Just send a nice registered letter setting out that she had been slandering you and saying that you take it very seriously. If you hear any further reports you will take legal action to protect your character.

Or you could try approaching her face to face - that might even be more scary for a gossip than the legal/formal route.

Very often people who go around saying things like that are just dismissed by others. I know all about it, my husband was previouly married and his ex-mother-in-law was and still is [9 years later] the exact same. Try not to let it get to you, but I would agree the letter is a good idea. These people are bullies and if you stand up to them they retreat under their stone. Best of luck and let me know how you are getting on.

I think Brendan's suggestion of registered letter will scare the living daylights out of her and that will be the end of it. People like that are usually weak.

RainyDay said:
Or you could try approaching her face to face - that might even be more scary for a gossip than the legal/formal route.
Experience would suggest that this is the better route to take, letters are fine and well but a good face to face confrontation in a public place (don't get abusive but make it clear you know they've been spreading lies etc and will consider legal action) will put people like this completely on the back-foot.

Expect total denial and utter shock from the other party and a shut mouth from that point on.

(Don't expect them to change their ways, they'll gossip away after a few weeks but you can guarantee it won't be about you!)

Back