noilh

Just want to let people know that me and my family recently started using Skype to stay in touch. My children live abroad in Australia, Austria and UK and I can talk to them or do instant messaging or all talk together - all for free. I say sayonara suckers to eircom's outlandish bills.

Welcome to skype, you know about the skype In they have, this is where you get a phone number of skype , as you ring Australia you would have an Australian phone number ,so then your family from down under would ring that number and it would be a local call, our friends from Finland ring from their mobile phones to my skype IN in Ireand and it is the same as ring a phone in Finland which if you are on the right call rate costs less than 2 cent a minute from a mobile , it cost me about 30.00 euro a year for skype In which is well worth it. Think about it ringing from a mobile in Finland to a Finnish landline which happens to be in Ireland costs the caller 2 cent a minute, also you can use 3 way chats

Skype is great, I call my friend in USA all the time has saved me a fortune. Skype to skype is free, skype to landline 0.017 cent. Even better again, 13434.ie - calls to USA landline and mobile - 5 cent connection fee for as long as you want.

Skype rocks. Was fab ringing Eircon to cancel my landline last year....the person I was dealing with asked "Why would you want to do that?". Then she told me she would have to pass me on to her boss who then asked "Why would you want to do that?" - classic customer service from Eircom even when you're leaving them! Haven't looked back since & saved a packet.

On a slightly different note, I use Google talk, I was looking for an addon to allow it to use a webcam, and found this site, http://www.festooninc.com/, which no longer works. Any other alternatives/suggestions

Pity you cant get a skype in number here. Wonder has this something to do with eircom trying to protect themselves

Hopefully somebody cab help me.

I've set up a Skyoe account and bought a microphone abd earpiece. I can make calls but the problem is the person on the other end can't hear me (I can hear them perfectly).
I've tried the test call and I'm able to hear my voice when they play it back so it's not the equipment.
Anybody else have this problem before?

If you can hear your own test call, it may be that the person you are calling has set not up their skype correctly. Can they hear their own test call?

I thought you could not get a SkypeIN number in Ireland.....
It is a skyin number for Finland in Ireland, ie Finland has the skype In number which allows Finnish people to ring our PC which has a Finnish number, you are right Ireland does not have skype In ie you cant have an Irish number on a PC in Finland, you can also have a 3 way conversation

PM1234- I've treid ringing houses, mobile phones and computers. I'm having the same prob with all three. I've been on to Skype a few times but they're kinda slow at getting back.

PM1234- I've treid ringing houses, mobile phones and computers. I'm having the same prob with all three. I've been on to Skype a few times but they're kinda slow at getting back.
You have Broadband I take it,your setting must be not set up right

Kind of interested in availing of skype or similar as in-laws are Spanish and have many siblings in England (and don't like large line rental costs). However, if you get skype, and get rid of landline, how do you avail of broadband or do you have to change provider to non- landline based system?

Bought a relatively cheap webcam but just noticed it does not have a built in mic

Using it on a Dell Inspiron 6400

Tried it and other caller could not hear me so tried the calling the echo123 as per here

Then checked the settings on laptop and noticed there was no microphone as per here

So no mic on this laptop so thus the reason why they could not hear me correct ?

Was thinking of getting one of

It has a built in mic so does that mean I dont need the headset?

If there are any other webcams that anyone can recommend for use with Skype or MSN with built in mics?

Not to keen on headset but if my laptop does not have mic may have to go with that

Ta

before anyone jumps completely on the skype bandwagon (i.e. gets rid of landline), try searching for 'skype outage', and 'skype peer to peer'.

It's good, but has its limitations.