Skype wireless phone

car

Sorry if someones posted this before but I thought it worth a mention.
Ive just seen Belkin have a wireless phone preloaded with skype software. Will connect to a wireless network anywhere without a pc. Cheapest Ive seen it is 149e from [broken link removed] Irish online store. Connects to your online skype account so all contacts are automatically found. Battery is charged from USB.

holly god €149 for that..i got a normal skype phone on ebay for 20 euro.

Yes there are cheaper alternatives but the skype phones up to now have been pc based. This one is wifi based so you can carry it around anywhere and can connect to any wireless network. If these have been out for a while, mea culpe.

definitly check out ebay, these gadgets should be cheaper in US or ASIA.

let us know if they are any good!

limited range on [broken link removed], most around the same price as that one.

more on this, the ebay ones are from taiwan so you get hammered on duty. [broken link removed] themselves have one for 139 WITH a wifi router and loads of skype freebies, thinks the delivery is 30e though.

Saw a Creative Skype compatible headset and webcam for €40 in town. Anyone used it ? Thinking of purchasing it

the eircom shop have a wireless phone that will do both skype and normal phone for about 100 yoyo's

Looks pretty good to me.

the eircom shop have a wireless phone that will do both skype and normal phone for about 100 yoyo's
Can't see it listed in their online store. Are you sure that it's a Skype/VoIP phone that can work without a PC (i.e. plug directly into a router) or does it require and ATA or something? Do "Skype" phones ever/often also support SIP?

Not directly related but I started looking at Skype phones, and also Blueface with Xmas in mind although like Clubman I can't see a solution that bridges both SIP-based systems and Skype at the moment. Beware the Siemens phones, they seem to use a proprietary version of Skype that you have to download from Siemens.

Blueface are currently not offering ATA only connections (gizmos so that you can use your existing DECT cordless with your broadband router for audio calls) - only a package with a Netgear router for 90 euros. If you just want the ATA (ie if you have the router bit already which we do because we are on wireless broadband) then there are RJ11 PC Mac VOIP adaptors on Ebay for about 25 sterling including delivery to Ireland. This allows you to plug your phone into both your landline and a SIP compatible VOIP service like Blueface if, like me, you're a rural dweller and daren't let go of the landline yet (all those poles, all that cable and infrastructure... if we let it go we will never get it back)

I think that the Skype wireless phones mentioned above could prove brilliant, but do we have enough "free" wireless zones to make it happen yet?

Imogen

Back