Skype headset/phone

Hibernicatio

Does anyone know the best equipment to use for skype? I have looked at headsets, cordless phones etc etc but not sure of the benefits of each, and if they have different call quality.

Bluetooth seems like the most user friendly.

Any ideas?

We got headsets twice and they both failed after 1 month working. So, now we got a handheld phone from PC World, working OK now but will give it some time.

Number of phones doesn't matter, it'll work on all of them. As long as you can daisychain the box between the phonepoint and the base DECT unit, and reach the USB slot on the PC at the same time, you're flying, otherwise it's not for you.

Advantages are that you're not tied to the PC during calls, you get the same quality of speaker/mic as you do with a regular call, SkyPe calls result in your regular phone/s ringing, and it's one less piece of junk to lose behind the sofa/sit on/break.

Noticed the same box for sale in the window of a (cheap) London retailer (Morgan Computers on New Oxford St.) over the weekend - at twice the price, so that 7dayshop price is genuinely good.

JohnnieKippe said:
Alistair

I have 3 DECT phones througout the house. Does that box mean I can do Skype on any of those DECT phones ? The base DECT unit is not near the PC, is that an issue ?

alastair said:
Number of phones doesn't matter, it'll work on all of them. As long as you can daisychain the box between the phonepoint and the base DECT unit, and reach the USB slot on the PC at the same time, you're flying, otherwise it's not for you.

Advantages are that you're not tied to the PC during calls, you get the same quality of speaker/mic as you do with a regular call, SkyPe calls result in your regular phone/s ringing, and it's one less piece of junk to lose behind the sofa/sit on/break.

Noticed the same box for sale in the window of a (cheap) London retailer (Morgan Computers on New Oxford St.) over the weekend - at twice the price, so that 7dayshop price is genuinely good.
Without being an expect on this, it seems to me that a solution which connects to the broadband router might be a better idea, rather than having to physically connect to your PC. Although you may still need some client software on your PC in order to detect that the VOIP phone is connected, so that it make it ring when it detects an incoming VOIP call.

A couple of questions here folks, appreciate any help, as this sounds exactly what I am looking for.

1 - How exactly does this work if it connects to your PC via USB when the PC is turned off?

2 - Does your old LL phone conect to this box, which connects to your PC, whic connects to the internet??

3 - You will need a Skype account/number to make/receive calls from other skype users? a rhetorical one!!

4 - Do you need skkypeIn/skypeOut to receive calls from other skype users? I mean what if you have a Skype account/number and someone dials that number from a LL or mobile??

Hope yous can help, tks.

Back