Skylight - who and how much?

ParisB

Hi there,

We've recently purchased a terraced house and are thinking of getting a skylight put into the roof to give some more light in the landing area. Does anyone know who would do this work (i.e. is it a window supplier or a builder or other?). Also any rough idea on cost for this work ...?
Any info/experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Do you mean a velux window?

My neighbour put in a sky light which was OK-ish but a velux window subsequently installed to correct the lack-of-lighting issue in his home is far superior. The skylight was moved to another area in the landing.

Marion

A velux should be installed by a good roofer. Depending on the size it ll cost between 1500 to 2000. If its on the front of the house you ll need planning. Will only take a day / two days at most to put in.

A velux can easily be fitted in a day, of any size, even the largest ones are no more than 500 so 1500 to 2000 seems very steep

There is some discussion on velux windows here.

Velux windows might be useful and [broken link removed] advertisement quotes €550 but you will see from this thread that there are strict terms and conditions applying to that price. This thread might help also.

We got two put in for a cost of €1500 - it took two days (well one and a half) to put them in. This was a couple of years ago and we're in Dublin 15.

I got one put in a few weeks ago (cork) ......

velux M04 78 x 98 cm 280 euro (included slate flashing)
install took 4 hours and cost 250

Tom

Back