sky tv telephone connection halving my internet speed

landlord

Just upgraded with UTV internet from 3 to 7 mb/s internet speed. I ran a speed test after the upgrade on www.speedtest.net and was only achieving 3.4 mb/s. UTV ran a test and said that is was a far end fault....I spent ages diagnosing the problem and found that the telephone connection from the telephone socket to the sky box was causing the internet speed to drop. After disconnecting this lead the speed jumped from 3.4 to a little of 6 mb/s.
Definately worth testing your internet speed with this lead in and out to see if there is a difference??!!

yep there is a filter on it which connects to a double adapter which feeds 1. the sky box and 2. a standard phone. The starndard phone has always worked correctly through this filter.

Anyway correct me if I am wrong, but I thought whether you have a filter or not only affects the quality of the telephone and has nothing to do with the internet speed?

Nope , the filter protects the broardband from the voice services.

Every device should have a filter on it.

Nope , the filter protects the broardband from the voice services.

Every device should have a filter on it.
No not true. I have seperate line from eircom box at the front door going to the router with no filter on it. I was advised to remove the filter by Eircom support to resolve continuous drop-outs(DSL light flashing).It worked too