SKY TV/Broadband "Service."

Thanks for the numbers. I have been leaving messages on an 061 number I had for Virgin customer care. It worked briefly before Christmas but no replies since to multiple messages left for a named customer service manager who I got in touch with by e mailing the CEO. A sky box would need a dish right ? He cant use a dish as it would not be allowed outside by the management co. Believe me if there was an alternative I would not hesitate to cancel them. Will try those numbers though. You never know i might get an answer tomorrow. I'll be surprised. It's taking 20 mins to get a clear picture everytime he turns the tv on.

Believe me if there was an alternative I would not hesitate to cancel them.
It might be the quickest way to get the problem sorted. Cancel it, and sign up as a new customer in your own name and get them to do the install.

I'm not certain that Limerick number I gave you still works, it could be 2 years since I called them to negotiate a discount.

AliExpress link They are basically all the same as this, we use an amplifier too

I edited that link to shorten it. Note they describe it as an 'active' aerial, but it isn't.

You mentioned having satellite in an earlier post, if you want to lose the amp you could put up an external antenna and use a combiner to combine the UHF signals with one of the feeds from the dish, then use another combiner/splitter at the tv or set top box to separate the signals and feed the required inputs.

Even though I'm in south Dublin I still needed to use an amplified indoor antenna that still struggled at times, but I recently put in the above setup and it works really well.

I had had a similar experience with SKY including a communication from a debt collection agency. SKY insist they must speak directly with you to verify your account irrespective of the fact that you have given them written notice. I beleive they want to speak to you so as to change your mind. Immediately on speaking with someone I was asked if I would stay on taking a new deal.

It was single-handedly the worst customer service I have ever encountered bar none with endless delays and unpleasant encounters with their Loyalty team. The lesson for me is well and truly learnt: I will never return to SKY. I think I told them I wouldn't stay with them if they gave their service for free.

Since my last posted here I'm now an ex Sky customer and it was because of one petty little thing on their side(and mine if I'm honest)
I cant understand why they couldn't give me a years contract on the HD option to match my TV contract??
The disconnect went as smoothly as I could have expected but surprised there was no calls from the loyalty team for a 25+ year customer leaving

Now my TV viewing is done through Netflix and Prime @€17.99 a month, don't ever see myself going back to Sky
There is a few programmes I miss but feel I'm gaining more and better quality programmes on the streaming channels at a better price
And I can travel all over the world and still watch TV should the need arise!!

I rang to cancel the children's TV option on our own Sky package recently. The website is as clear as mud. I ended up calling Edinburgh (I think) and being transferred to the Irish number. All far too complicated.

From the article:

In a statement, Sky said that “attempts were made to contact the customer upon receiving the letter, in order to process the cancellation. As per our Sky TV contract, customers can write to us or email us to cancel their account, but notice given by these means will not be effective until we have spoken to the customer and verified their account”.

What exactly is the risk here? That people maliciously send letters to Sky under false names to cancel their neighbour's subscription? Far more likely that they put lots of little frictions in the system to prevent people from cancelling.

That is it exactly - make it as difficult as possible to cancel an unwanted service

I had a half-price offer on Sky Sports and got in contact to cancel it via their chat service
After a lot of toing and froing I said - "let's stop wasting your time and my time - either you contine the service at half-price or you cancel it"
It took about 10 seconds to get "OK, we will continue with the half-price offer for another 6 months"

I will have to do it all again next March -

I had had a similar experience with SKY including a communication from a debt collection agency. SKY insist they must speak directly with you to verify your account irrespective of the fact that you have given them written notice. I beleive they want to speak to you so as to change your mind. Immediately on speaking with someone I was asked if I would stay on taking a new deal.

It was single-handedly the worst customer service I have ever encountered bar none with endless delays and unpleasant encounters with their Loyalty team. The lesson for me is well and truly learnt: I will never return to SKY. I think I told them I wouldn't stay with them if they gave their service for free.
Whilst most utilities have dreadful customer service, I can't see the fault in sky above.

The customer said that they got the cancellation details online. The same paragraph states clearly that they will call you to confirm the cancellation.

But frankly I think that any and all services should allow you cancel in the exact same format as signing up.

The two best out there are Netflix and The Irish Times.

One of the worst is the Business Post where it's impossible to read the terms and conditions until AFTER you sign up.

Whilst most utilities have dreadful customer service, I can't see the fault in sky above.

The customer said that they got the cancellation details online. The same paragraph states clearly that they will call you to confirm the cancellation.

But frankly I think that any and all services should allow you cancel in the exact same format as signing up.

The two best out there are Netflix and The Irish Times.

One of the worst is the Business Post where it's impossible to read the terms and conditions until AFTER you sign up.
For a crowd that, as you suggest, you can't see the fault, they were pretty darn quick about going legal and then backing down very pronto when the IT got on the case. They put me thru the wringer too with the worst hold times I ever experienced and lousy customer care. I would not ever return to them.

For a crowd that, as you suggest, you can't see the fault, they were pretty darn quick about going legal and then backing down very pronto when the IT got on the case. They put me thru the wringer too with the worst hold times I ever experienced and lousy customer care. I would not ever return to them.
I just said that their (quite unfair) terms and conditions very clearly state that if you write in to them that they will contact you to confirm the cancellation.

And the person in the article stated that they got the address details from the terms and conditions and therefore would have seen this sentence.

So whilst sky put obstacles in your way, they do state these obstacles and you simply can't ignore them. And it's why I don't subscribe to them or any service that insists on a high pressure phone call to cancel.

@peemac . Totally agree. As I said, I will never go back to SKY. I would add that I like the processes for Netflix, Apple subscription and Amazon Prime. I'm with the Irish Times, but never had occasion to cancel. All the others were a simple and easy process to cancel, and to join again. This process, like switching gas and electricity, should be simple and hassle-free.

I just said that their (quite unfair) terms and conditions very clearly state that if you write in to them that they will contact you to confirm the cancellation.
If Sky demanded a litre of blood to cancel should people be obliged?

If you've gone to the trouble of writing a letter then it should be pretty clear you want to cancel.

Sure, Sky may want to follow up but the cancellation shouldn't be contingent on them getting through to you.

Back