Sky Remote through DVD player with tuner card

whackin

Is it possible to use a Sky Remote with a TV that recieves its channels through a DVD recorder that has a DVD tuner in it. We recently bought a DVD recorder which has a hard drive that can record and pause live tv. We asked in the shop could it be used with Sky and they say yes. We have not hooked it up yet as we are still waiting for sky to be installed and we jsut wanted verification. So I was wondering will the Sky remote be compatable with the DVD player since that is effectively controlling the TV.

I'm open to correction but I think the Sky remotes will only operate televisions and not DVD recorders, as well as the Sky box itself.

If you are using Sky for your signal and feeding it to the DVD recorder and then on to the television it may not be the best solution - it's similar to the old way of connecting arial -> video recorder -> television, when you could watch one channel and record another. If you have a regular Sky box you will have to watch the same channel as is being recorded; if you have a Sky+ box you will be able to record one channel on the Sky+ box and watch another on the television/DVD recorder.

Given that your spending the money you would be best to connect all the devices together using SCART leads rather than coax, as it will give a much better quality signal. A side-effect of this is that the tuners in the DVD recorder/television will become redundant as there is no need to "tune-in" when connecting using SCART leads.

Hope this helps

S.

That seems to make sense alright, though I have read stuff which seems to indicate that this might be possible though highly bothersome. I'm beginning to think that maybe the Sky+ box might be the more striaghtforward option.

Back