Sky phone connection interfering with DSL line?

mimmi

I'm with UTV and my local exchange was DSL enabled recently, so moved to Quicksilver and account activated last week. Received wireless router, put micro-filters on all phone sockets, but no steady green light re DSL on router. UTV advised to take everything off all phone sockets, disconnect Sky etc, and plug router directly into main eircom socket. Still no steady green light. UTV said they'll put in a request for a local fault check, but it could be my Sky phone line that's the problem.

When the man from Sky installed my 2 boxes (1 skyplus in lounge and normal box in kitchen) he hard wired the phone connection behind the telephone jack cover in the kitchen. For the box in the lounge, he ammalgamated the wires with the wires coming into the house over the porch in the loft - a bit rough and ready looking. Essentially, I have no clean ends to close off for either Sky phone connection, UTV think this could be the problem.

Anyone else heard of this? Any tips? Should I get my electrician to have a look, doubt Sky will want to do much.

Many thnaks.

When the man from Sky installed my 2 boxes (1 skyplus in lounge and normal box in kitchen) he hard wired the phone connection behind the telephone jack cover in the kitchen. For the box in the lounge, he ammalgamated the wires with the wires coming into the house over the porch in the loft - a bit rough and ready looking. Essentially, I have no clean ends to close off for either Sky phone connection, UTV think this could be the problem.
Have you a filter on your digi box?
Assuming that the Sky box(es) is (are) sharing your normal phone line then they will certainly need DSL filters like any other device connected to the phone line. If the current wiring setup doesn't facilitate this then you have a problem.

Get eircom/electrician to undo the Sky guys work

I think eircom have a charge for this type of thing. If its their fault they will fix but if it fixing work done by a 3rd party their terms and conditions say they will cahrge. Depends on the guy that comes out from eircom i suppose.

I think eircom have a charge for this type of thing. If its their fault they will fix but if it fixing work done by a 3rd party their terms and conditions say they will cahrge. Depends on the guy that comes out from eircom i suppose.

Do Eircom even do internal wiring anymore, I thought they just went to the master socket these days and anything else you sort out yourself with an electrician?

Back