Sky / Ntl Box with out subscription

Finlandia

I have seen some sky / ntl boxes for sale on various websites, excuse my ignorance but surely you have to subscribe to a provider in order to receive channels, some have mentioned that they receive free to air channels, totally clueless when it comes to thinkgs like this if anyone can explaine to me is it worth buying one ?

Thanks

Not certain about what sites you are looking at but the whole "free to air" channels & options seems to have taken off as an alternative to subscriptions. Essentially some channels are broadcast on a FTA basis, and you will need a satellite dish & decorder box to receive them. The whole idea is you fork out on a once-ff basis on equipment, and all broadcasted channls on the FTA list are available to you without a monthly subscription.This is the major advantage of FTA options. For channels excluded in IRL; RTE/TV3/TG4, they can be accessed on "old" analogue network using a "rabbits ears" & reception dependent on your locality. I understand these will eventually be part of the FTA network. Here is a link to boards.ie that might help with more info. ( tho it is a bit dated). A google search will give you more info on companies providing services.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055038749

Last edited:
I have a Sky digital box that I have not subscribed to for about 10 year. I get all the BBC and ITV channels without having to tune them in, plus all the others.

I am under the impression that the Irish Terrestrial Digital channels are being rolled out this year which will require another set top box on to the existing aerial. Has anyone anymore info on this?